Hi I have owned this machine for 10 years or so, its been fantastic. yesterday when I was spreading gravel on a garage pad the swing would stop or lock. I could make it continue to rotate by applying more force but it would clunk or I could just spin the other way. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does it seems to be at the same spot in two positions. I can spin in circles at medium rotation speed with no unusual noises nor will it bind up. To me it seems like a bearing going out and the teeth of the gears are not meshing but why just at low speed. I have the machine back at the shop now. Is there any way of inspecting gears bearings without removing the whole swing motor assembly. also it seems to be fine for 15 mins or so then it starts. any advice appreciated. Im soo busy I dont have time for this problem right now.lol Thanks.
So I pulled the swing motor assembly today expecting a broken tooth or damage to the gear, but nothing no damage what so ever, and the gear box spun smooth with no hang ups. I would assume the slew ring is fine also difficult to drag the boom around to inspect every tooth. I am putting it back together expecting the same problem but at least i know its not going to grenade on a job site and be jammed up unable to float back home. any suggestions on what to look at next or troubleshooting tips. thanks Jim
faulty swing pressure switch engaging the swing lock?
It must be something like that, it locks at exactly 180 deg though. I will work it and try to pick up some more clues now that I know the gears are ok. Jim
So it has to be the swing brake engaging for some reason just at slow spin speed, where to start? hmmm
Not familiar with the PC60, but I had a PC75UU-2. It developed an intermittent swing brake problem (I think it was the swing brake timer if I remember correctly). On that machine there is a swing brake cancel switch somewhere around the back of the right console or right side of seat frame. We were able to use the machine with the swing brake off with no problems until we got it fixed. Might be something to look for on your machine.
Thanks Brian I will check for a switch like that. I accessed a bank of solenoids that the small hydraulic line running from the swing motor travels to. I was able to turn them i bit back and forth, I wiggled wires and squeezed plugs. I took the machine out for a test spin before i loaded it on float an it never locked once. I must have wiggled the right thing. See how it works today doing weepers and back fill.