Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu pc120 (and Deere 330) versus aftermarket hydraulic oil cooler

Mobilewrench ยท 2023-06-29 19:57

I am not a big fan of aftermarket parts. But I find myself needing them more and more frequently these days. Mostly due to availability from the factory on some of the older machines that I deal with. Also because of cost (almost always at the client's insistence) but sometimes just because I think it is worth a shot. In recent memory I have bought (for Hitachi) an a/c controller ($175 vs $1250 from dealer), a/c compressor ($250 vs $1500) and a wire harness (that one was just a little under half of what the dealer asked). I had to buy an aftermarket track motor for the pc120 in the title last year because the factory one was over $20,000. Oh, yeah... And not available. I really hated to buy that last one because a few years ago I had to get an aftermarket track motor for (if I remember right) a grey market Cat 308. That was probably the first time that I sourced aftermarket parts for anything other than under carriage stuff. I remember asking very specifically if their product had the same displacement as OE. But when I installed the motor it moved at about 66% of the other side. The supplier was apologetic, even offered to supply the other track motor for about 33% of the asking price. But then the client went and died. So now I have this horrible feeling in my heart that somewhere on this island there is an excavator tracking in slow, lazy circles... And it is my fault. Anyway, the track motor on the pc120 was flawless. At all three speeds it tracks perfectly straight for at least a football field. And the (Chinese bought) Hitachi parts are all actually working just fine. Last month I had to source an aftermarket oil cooler for a Deere 330 because the client did not want to shell out $9000. I found an aftermarket one for $5700 plus shipping (about $700 to have it air freighted in). Fairly big machine, so down time = big$. It showed plumbing. three weeks before the factory one would have. When I installed it I ran into a lot of alignment problems with the hard line plumbing

Replies8
  1. #1Mobilewrench2023-06-29 20:01

    Also

  2. #2Mobilewrench2023-06-29 20:04

    So, I had to do quite a lot to make this happen...

  3. #3Mobilewrench2023-06-29 20:16

    Even after that, I had to do quite a bit to get everything back in place. On the upside, the company that I bought it from has offered to deduct the cost of the modifications from their original price. So, cost/benefit, still a win for the client.

  4. #4Mobilewrench2023-06-29 20:24

    So now I have this pc 120 in my yard. Oil cooler killed by the battery hold down. The dealer says it is two months away. Does anyone have a good source for this part?

  5. #5heymccall2023-06-29 21:45

    While I have capacity to research, I can't, as you haven't provided a part number. Heck, I don't even see a full model number.

  6. #6Mobilewrench2023-06-30 13:34

    That is an excellent point. I got to rambling and forgot to put that in. PC120LC-6 Serial 66211 Not 100% sure on the part number, but in my notes it looks like 203-03-67321

  7. #7heymccall2023-06-30 14:58

    Google hits all-over for that number. Dealer price is $2700 and backordered, of course. Most images look same construction. 21& 24 look integrated on some aftermarket.

  8. #8Mobilewrench2023-06-30 22:25

    Yeah, that's what I found yesterday. I do appreciate you taking the time for me. Weird thing is when I searched for it two weeks ago, I did not get many hits at all and all of them were at or above what the dealer was asking. I think I misphrased my question in my post. I meant; has anyone had any experience with companies that provide aftermarket oil coolers for this machine? The Amazon ones shown above look like they will require some modifications because of the a/c condenser. And there were others on Amazon that looked a little closer to factory, but all tell me that they don't ship to Hawaii. Soon parts one looks like the closest to factory and claims international shipping for somewhere around $150. And also claim the ship time of somewhere between 5 and 11 business days. There were two different ship estimates between the product page and the purchase page. I let the day get away from me so I guess I have the weekend to make a decision. But I am leaning towards the "Soonparts" item. I do think it is funny that have such an ambiguous name. After all, there was a "Fridayparts" in the search result. I guess the hierarchy should go: Nowparts Friday parts (suppose it depends upon which day of the week you place your order) Day or two parts Soon parts Pretty soon parts Pony express parts It will get there when it gets there parts And "all of our parts are delivered by rickshaw, parts"