I am struggling to figure out if this is a dang gray market machine. I'm trying to get a used excavator and I really don't want to drive 3 hours to check this out and then find out it is gray market. I've called some Komatsu dealers and the corporate office just keep saying they don't know. I thought maybe some of y'all might know how to tell if it's gray market besides color (since it could be repainted for all I know)
UU is Gray market
My PC128UU-2 is not gray market. Dealer personnel have insisted that it was, several times over. But it most certainly is not. Neither is my PC228UU-1. BOTH are US market machines. The PC228UU-1 here is purple under the yellow/ gray, and many of the body parts for both come to me in purple. So, UU most definitely doesn't mean gray market.
The serial number on the tag in the photo is likely a gray market machine and built around 1998. I say likely because my references usually only list machines that were specifically built for North America and that number does not show up. However my references do show that model with different serial numbers that were built for North America. What is the Sn. of your machine heymccall? I do have to say that all the UU machines that I have looked at in the past were grays, but that was also a time period where there were few or no reduced or zero clearance machines being actively marketed here. They were all over Asia and commonly were loaded on a ship for here.
My 128 is 5515 Saw this using avspare
That serial number popped up instantly. Definitely a US model machine.