Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 325BL: Educate me on a drifting swing system

LCA078 ยท 2020-10-31 11:29

Never really noticed I had a problem with the swing until I was on a slope and saw the hoe would drift, or really free-swing, down hill when I was off the controls. On level ground it seems fine and appears to brake or slow down correctly during a full speed swing...but I'm not an experienced operator so maybe my 'fine' isn't really fine. I thought there was a swing brake or equivalent to prevent down-hill free-swing but have no idea where to start looking to troubleshoot. I assume it could be as simple as a bad electrical connection or some really expensive hydraulic issue. What ya'll recommend?

Replies5
  1. #1DEMLONE702020-10-31 12:15

    Serial number ?

  2. #2John C.2020-10-31 12:22

    A lot of those machines had a soft swing function installed from the factory. Check all the rocker switches on the right side console. A serial number will allow some people here to look up what your machine originally had from the factory. As far as the swing brake goes, it is actually a swing parking brake. It is spring applied and hydraulic released and only applies about seven seconds after you stop operating everything.

  3. #3LCA0782020-10-31 12:47

    serial number in my signature but i'll add here too: Caterpillar 325BL Serial *2JR01724* John- Are you referring to the Fine Swing Control Rocker? I assume you're suggesting I keep this rocker off (pushed to the left)? I guess this is also where I get confused because I see swing brake and assume this is an immediate acting swing brake instead of the 7-second parking brake.

  4. #4Jam2020-10-31 17:07

    You can check the swing brake by dropping the deadman while its on a slope starting to creep on its own and see does it stop abruptly. I had a b series years ago that two of the swing motor pistons poped off their slipper feet which cased it to free swing on a slope. New pistons and a cam plate sorted it out

  5. #5uffex2020-11-01 04:16

    Good day You may find the attached a useful starting point. Kind regards Uffex