Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC138 – Doesn’t Start

Julianhaire · 2019-06-20 20:24

Hey everyone, first post on here because 99% of the time I can figure out the issue just by reading past threads that other people have posted. However, this situation is different. This all started as a simple failing alternator replacement so I went and got a new alternator and installed it, turned the key and the screen lights come on like they should and everything but the starter doesnt spin over. If I run a jumper to the starter, it spins over and works fine. I installed new batteries and the starter is also brand new. Today I replaced the safety relay as well since it wasnt clicking like it should. There is a switch that sits beside the safety relay that clicks loudly whenever I turn the key, not sure if it should click or not but I figured since its a switch, that with it clicking, its working like it should. All fuses are good also. I am running out of ideas on what to check next and really need to get this machine up and running again. The only other thing I could maybe think of was the hydraulics lever that engages/disengages the hydraulics was maybe not working properly. I know that will cause the machine not to start. It is strange because the engine started fine before I removed the alternator since it was bad and after installing the new alternator when you turn the key, nothing happens. Any input and help is greatly appreciated. I am open to any answers or advice. Thanks. Things I have replaced: Starter, Alternator, Safety Relay. Battery relay tested good. Ignition switch is working properly. Starter is getting proper voltage All fuses are good Alternator is hooked up properly

Replies8
  1. #10072019-06-21 07:08

    Hi Julianhaire, The first thing i would check is your new alternator. If the internal configuration is not exactly the same as the old one it might be sending power out on the wire which goes to the safety relay. The new alternator can also have a fault. The easiest way to check would be to pull all the small wires off the alternator and see if it starts. Leave the large B+ wire on the alt it will not cause problems.

  2. #2Julianhaire2019-06-21 08:25

    If I remove the wires from the alternator and it still doesn't start, what would I try at that point? I only have two small wires that plug into this alternator. One is a br wire and the other starts with a b also and then the spot where the E is was a ground and didn't have a wire. I will try removing the wires this morning and reply back on what happens. Thanks.

  3. #3Glenn Levison2022-05-04 14:25

    Did you foundation the problems. I got the same kind off probs

  4. #4funwithfuel2022-05-05 10:45

    Check the big fuses feeding the safety relay? 50Amp , i believe

  5. #5Glenn Levison2022-05-05 14:33

    When I knock on the alternator it Will start. The alternator is new it ess same problems befors I change

  6. #6funwithfuel2022-05-05 15:03

    Factory new or remanufactured?

  7. #70072022-05-05 18:52

    Can you do the same that i last recommended. Next time is not starting don't knock the alternator just pull out the plug with the small wires and see if it starts. Let us know the results and we will go forward from there.

  8. #8Anthony932023-08-30 11:45

    Hi there I’m having issues as well. Where exactly is this safety relay?