Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu pc150-5 monitor cutting in and out

JDI93 · 2022-02-23 22:58

Hello everyone, been awhile since I was on last. Picked up a 150-5 about 7 months ago So far it’s been an awesome machine till a recent electrical bug The monitor will at random start cutting in and out spastically like it loses power. I’ve tested power inputs and grounds, which it maintains all the time. Has new battery cables, battery relay, alternator and chased down about 80% of the harness. Pump controller shows no codes same with the engine throttle controller is there a possibility of a sensor causing this? That I have over looked I don’t believe the monitor is bad as it does work like it should Till until it cuts out after the alternator replacement it was perfectly fine for about 5 hours then went back on the Fritz

Replies7
  1. #1JDI932022-02-24 12:03

    I don’t believe so, plug is tight and the display works fine until it randomly goes out. The controller flashes a code when this happens but that’s for a travel limit switch that’s been unhooked

  2. #2BigWrench552022-02-24 14:38

    You could possibly have corrosion on the ribbon cable powering the screen. I don't know how your display is built, but have you taken it apart to see if it has a ribbon cable?

  3. #3John C.2022-02-25 09:46

    Bad contact somewhere. Might even be in the panel itself. Your machine is more than thirty years old. There is no travel limit switch in these machines that I recall. If you mean one of the switches under the cab that contacts the pedal linkage, that puts the machine in straight travel when you are traveling and operate something else at the same time.

  4. #4Seans problems2022-02-25 09:52

    On our pc228 this was happening and it ended up being a pin on the plug that was pushed out. Could hardly tell it was just barely making contact. This reminds me that I was going to ask Mr. snap on for some connection picks.

  5. #5JDI932022-02-27 22:53

    Yes I did Take the monitor apart today, and everything inside seems clean and good. No burnt spots on the boards or breaks in solder joints

  6. #6JDI932022-02-27 22:57

    The Service Manual calls these the travel limit switches, also says there’s a different circuit for the straight travel function but that’s been unhooked I believe as it’s never seemed to work This machine hates any other functions while tracking. I did however find that one if the switches was bad and unhooked both of them. So far everything seems fine but I haven’t worked it yet to verify the issue has been resolved

  7. #7JDI932022-02-27 23:03

    Something I noticed today, I bypassed the battery relay and the monitor stays on just fine however long I leave it hooked up. Once I start the machine it’ll freak out after a few minutes. My assumption is something on the warning side of the monitor has shorted out or gone bad. As I had the 2nd plug for the hydraulic outputs unplugged whole time