Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC200-6 final drive reassembly

Doty Farm ยท 2023-06-25 15:48

With the parts welded and machined back to spec or replaced, I will need to put the drives back together. The outer casing plate was stuck to the outer case with some sort of orange dope. It would not come apart with force and needed to be heated. Does anyone know what this product was and where I can buy it? Also the gears that are in the internal cassette each have a pin that is held in place with another cross pin. These cross pins are not held by friction alone. What product bonds them in? Or would scratching up the cross pin bore work? I will ask the heavy equipment repair shop when I pick up the parts. But in the off chance they don't have any to sell or it is out of stock, I am asking y'all also. Thank you for any advice.

Replies11
  1. #1LACHAU2023-06-26 10:46

    You should give the serial number of the machine because Komatsu PC200-6 has many options. I send you the documentation of one of the PC200-6 series. This model is for the US market.

  2. #2Doty Farm2023-06-26 11:14

    Thank you Lachau for clarifying my post. The drives are still on the undercarriage and the tracks were not split. I am only repairing the gears as the seals and bearings seem to be okay. The manual notes "caulking" to hold the retaining pin for the shafts. What type of "caulking" do you use? The manual notes "gasket sealant" for the outer plate to ring gear connection. What type do you use? Thank you for your advice.

  3. #3LACHAU2023-06-26 11:46

    You can find out them here: Sealants Various technologies for a wide range of projects and applications www.loctiteproducts.com

  4. #4Doty Farm2023-10-18 13:50

    Advancement of the drive rebuild. The second drive was in very bad condition. I welded out the bearing races and used liquid nitrogen to set the new bearings in. It worked. The new bearings when frozen had almost one millimeter of clearance.

  5. #5Doty Farm2023-10-18 13:56

    Now the next challenge is getting the seals to stay in place. I have everything cleaned and decreased. The komatsu repair manual states that everything should be dry with no grease when pressing in the new O-ring and metal ring. This doesn't seem to work. I can press all in but the O-ring is rolling and when the clamps are released the seal comes back up. The seal is hooked in place but not seated deep enough. Does anyone have an idea of what I am doing wrong? I did try putting grease on the O-ring but that did help.

  6. #6Tones2023-10-18 14:43

    Do an internet search for installing Duo-Cone seals, there's plenty of info. here's an example https://shop.finaldriveparts.com/shop-talk-blog/installing-a-face-seal-on-a-final-drive-motor/

  7. #7Doty Farm2023-10-18 18:11

    Thank you. Seems like I need a special tool.

  8. #8Dave Neubert2023-10-19 08:12

    I work them in wit a screw driver being carful not to roll the o ring

  9. #9Doty Farm2023-10-22 09:48

    Seals are in. They were the first time. I was trying to set them to the depth when they are compressed.

  10. #10Doty Farm2023-10-22 09:53

    Next problem is getting the sprocket and casting holding the bearings back on the hub. The hub is chewed up from the old bearings spinning on it. I worked some emory cloth around it and took off the high places. The bearings won't press down with the weight of the sprocket alone.

  11. #11Doty Farm2023-10-22 09:56

    The black marker line is about where it get stuck.