Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu pc200-7 jerky when cold

Fossen2500 ยท 2014-11-03 20:39

I have a 2005 200-7 with 7300 hrs that runs great when up at full operating temp but it is very jerky before it gets warm. When it's below freezing it takes a good hour of running without cardboard in front of radiator before it warms up enough before it goes away. It's been getting worse the last couple years but it works great once it warms up. If it idles too long it will cool down and come back. Any ideas?

Replies2
  1. #1MX452014-11-03 22:12

    G'day, Don't know about the jerking but too long to heat up and cooling down means no thermostat or stuck open thermostat. Regards, MX45

  2. #2Fossen25002014-11-03 23:18

    The engine temp warms up to 190 very quickly. I have checked the oil temp and the jerkiness completely goes away at about 140-150 degrees. A couple years ago when I first started noticing it, it would only need to get to about 100 degrees and it went away. It's been getting a little worse every year.