Ok, A newbie to excavators, I'm a farmer by trade. 30+ years experience. repair most of what I can. Thought I needed an excavator for cleanup, tile, ect. bought this komatsu, get it home changing fluids, filters ect. drain finals, one has normal amount of oil, other hardly any. So I decided to flush with Diesel fuel, put 2 gallons in ran it forward backward, drained. Saw a wet track on the inside, leaking. So Question how does it come apart? I have a service manual and parts manual. I already twisted off one bolt on the inside cover plate. Can I heat them red hot? or do they fasten to the hyd motor? I has just going to look inside and see how it came apart. Looks to be a stub shaft between motor and final? do they seperate easy? Parts book says O-ring assembly. Give me some pointers. Anything else I should be looking at? PC220LC-5 I Believe a 1992 model. Thanks,
Did you see any metal when you first drained the oil? Looks like the sprocket seal has failed. The drive motor is under the cover in the first picture. Also the mounting bolts that hold the entire unit to the track frame is under there. Remove that cover first and make sure it isn't a hydraulic hose leaking. The final and drive motor have to be removed from the track frame to replace that seal. The motor has to be removed form the gear drive first and then the gear box set on the floor with the cover in the last photo up. You can then dismantle the planetary. The seal is all the way on the bottom. It is a metal to metal seal using toric seal rings to hold the metal halves together just like in bottom roller and front idlers. It's just bigger. Before you put it together make sure the ring lands are absolutely clean and still round. You will know what I mean when you get it apart. There are also two big ball bearings above the seal the support the sprocket.
There were no shavings in the little oil that came out, or in the flush fuel. you mentioned rollers, someon this machine are shot by the way they move and some seem tight. what's the cost of fixing a roller?
If you’re talking bottom rollers when they are tight they are right, when they break they shake.
john c. can you get to that seal and line back up or do you have to have a tool to line up. my 200 dash 5 eat the splines on shaft a few years ago and was told to take motor apart you had to have plate to line back up. i took it alway down to motor got parts and then took it to tec and had them to tear on down and put back togeater. had not ever done it and was going on word i could not line up.
They are just an oversize duo cone seal. I put the last ones I did on a PC200-3 in with a plastic window installing tool and a blunt screw driver and checked the fit with my thumb nails. The tool allows you to install the seal in seconds and would be cost effective to purchase if you did multiple final drives in a month. If you are only doing one on your own machine, you will figure it out pretty quick.
i have done lot of dozer seals but had people i thought knew tell me for some reason you had to line motor on final , and because of cost was not willing to try. when you put them most will aline with weigh of all that goes on them, just have to not force it.