Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC300lc7-L air in fuel

daddytrav ยท 2014-08-01 18:46

Ok I bleed out all o the air from the fuel system. Runs great, but as soon as you shut it off it sucks air again and you have to bleed it to get it to start. Replaced all crush washers at banjo fittings and a new lift pump. cannot find any obvious leaks. I am about stumped. The new crush washers are from Komatsu and are metal with rubber o-rings inside. I question the new ones and am thinking about replacing them all with copper washers. Any Ideas??????

Replies6
  1. #1DJK2014-08-01 20:54

    Fuel cap.

  2. #2John C.2014-08-01 22:49

    Do you have a fuel water separator? If so the O ring usually drops out when you remove the bowl to dump out the water. The other issue is draining the junk off the bottom of the tank. There is a drain valve under the tank. Usually you open the valve and nothing comes out. Know the flux off a piece of 1/8" welding rod and shove it up the hole. You won't believe how much junk can drain out. If that isn't it blow some compressed air back through the suction line and look for leaks. You will have to remove the fuel tank cap. The last thing I can think of is the priming pump being bad. If this unit has the hand wheel that unscrews in order to pump, the O rings can go bad.

  3. #3jey_c2014-08-02 06:22

    Check fuel suction line between tank and feed pump

  4. #4daddytrav2014-08-04 11:23

    DJK, I am checking all of these things, But I go thinking about the fuel cap as you mentioned. I assume that it is vented? If that were to become plugged, it would create a vac. in the tank...if my thinking is correct. If that were to happen as the engine ran and happened to draw enough air to continue to run well, once you shut off the engine you would have a negative vac. in the tank and the fuel that was in the lines would be pulled back to the tank. This could cause Cavataion in the fuel lines. Am I correct in this assumption? That would make sense of why it starts every morning, but once it is shut off it will not restart until bled. I have now found that if it sits long enough it will actually start again. I plan to test this theory today, but any aditional input on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all of the help

  5. #5daddytrav2014-08-06 14:56

    DJK, You win!!!! it was the fuel cap. Thanks for all the help.

  6. #6DJK2014-08-06 19:03

    Not a problem, glad to help and even happier you got your issue sorted.