Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu pc35 battery always dead

Tja349 · 2022-03-22 19:59

Bought a 2010 pc35 mr 3 at auction recently. Had a tick in the fuel injector - changed it out. Seems all good. Other issue is the battery dies a day or two after use. Easy way to find the draw? I see digital hour counter is always on. Is this normal or maybe the issue? Battery is dated 9/21 so shouldn’t be the issue. Was thinking of just mounting a solar battery tender to roof and hooking to battery. Any help would. BE great thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1John Griffin2022-03-22 20:10

    Is the alternator charging correctly?

  2. #2Tja3492022-03-22 20:29

    I believe so. I can use it and it won’t die shut it off starts up. Just if I come back a day or two later it’s dead. I can see before I try bc the hour numbers are off If I let the trickle charger finish it lasts longer Recently I have just jumped it to use or move it

  3. #3Delmer2022-03-22 21:06

    Check the battery voltage running, it should be close to 14V. Charge the battery, or use it for a couple hours, then remove the ground cable from the battery, let it sit a few days, if the battery will start it after a few days, then the battery is fine. pull fuses and check the alternator to find the amp draw.

  4. #4John Griffin2022-03-22 21:15

    One thing you can try is unhooking the negative battery terminal and come back several days later to see if the battery will start the machine. If it will, you definitly have a drain. If not, you have a bad battery. If you have a drain, the best way to find it is to hook up an amp meter and pull fuses one at a time until the drain goes away to figure out which circuit its on.

  5. #5Tja3492022-03-23 08:45

    If you have a drain, the best way to find it is to hook up an amp meter and pull fuses one at a time until the drain goes away to figure out which circuit its on.[/QUOTE] Where would I hook up the meter? Im assuming to the battery and when the correct fuse is removed the amps will climb? just saw delmer said to the alternator. I’ll check it out this weekend thanks

  6. #6John Griffin2022-03-23 08:55

    Hook it between the battery and battery cable. When you pull the correct fuse, the amperage will drop because you have unhooked that circuit.

  7. #7John C.2022-03-23 09:35

    I only have a schematic of the MR2 machines so I'm not quite sure of what your has for an electrical system. The MR2 machines don't have a battery disconnect so there is a hot wire going to the key switch and one going to the hydraulic system safety lock out. If the lock out is in the down position there will be current flow to ground all the time. I would suggest installing a manual battery disconnect switch on the ground side of the battery so you don't have to worry about it in the future.