Hey guys I had posted a while back about a 953 and that machine turned out to have issues not stated by seller. So I'm still looking and ran across this 955l for sale not to far from me. Would like to get yours opinion on this machine. Seller states bought from east coast replaced undercarriage new turbo paint and few other items and has a bigger set of tracks on it but it is 30k.. https://www.crawlerbulldozer.com/in...?dlr=1&accountcrmid=10055&settingscrmid=10055
13X is a big bottom and high horse power they were great machines but it had better be top notch for that price
I'm not saying that iit is, but that paint job could potentially be hiding a multitude of sins. Probably a good case to have it inspected by someone who really knows what they are looking at.
So just got back from looking at this machine. This seller is well known in this area for selling equipment and parts. They have a massive salvage yard. He says the reason why they painted it was because it was missing several of the front metal pieces and was replaced with parts from salvage yard. This place is Amish owned and a family operation. They buy machines mainly from the east coast pennsylvania area. He showed me the repair list and it totalled about 10k in parts. Tracks rollers sprockets and something else ? Turbo and exhaust All fluids and filters changed New panels in front and paint Battery's Radiator Can't remember what else if anything else. He is firm on the price won't budge at all. Only thing I could get out of him was free delivery instead of paying the 300-400 delivery charge. I got to run the machine. Fired right up and sounded healthy. Tracked straight and turned just fine. Bucket went in air and back down smooth no slop in the bucket pins. No evidence of any cylinders leaking. Hour meter shows 35 and not sure if it works and he wasn't sure either. He thinks the engine was overhauled and meter was replaced then but he said had no information on if it was or not and got no history on this particular machine. But one thing sorta threw me off was the brake pedal stuck down when I pressed on it. He said they rarely get used and wouldn't recommend using it anyways just use the track pedals and penetrateing oil would prolly fix the sticky pedal. Thanks for any and all feedback. Last time I called the cat dealer to get a tech to look over a machine it would be several weeks out and machine will prolly sell by then.?
I’m far from an expert but here’s my opinion. I would have trouble believing it’s going to sell “fast” at that price point. The equipment and truck market is bananas right now, dealers and individuals are pricing things way out of a range they should be. I have zero problem with that, if someone is willing to pay for it, then good on them. Nige could not be more on point with the whole paint thing. I hate a used piece of equipment that’s been painted, who knows what they are trying to hide, maybe nothing, maybe a lot. There’s a saying “paint makes it what it ain’t” more often than not, that saying is true. If you are serious about purchasing it I would definitely hire an independent or a Cat mechanic to come out and give it the once over, $500-$1000 spent now could save you thousands later. Also, something that really bugs me is if it’s so great why would he tell you not to use the brake and some “penetrating fluid will fix it”, if it’s so easy why didn’t they do it…..
I'm guessing they shimmed up the front idler because of the tall rails? The shim should be all the way to the front if they put non-stock rails on it. I would be cautious about the high entry price. You can pay some long distance delivery for a $20,000 machine. Will they give any warranty in writing?
No decent local independent heavy equipment mechanics in your area.? TBH with a machine of that age a dealer tech would likely be very confused because there would be nowhere he could plug in his laptop.
Thanks for the reply a guys. Only reason I think it will sell fast is because this place does sell a lot of machines and been watching there listings for months and he mentioned several have called on it and a few have already looked it over and getting back to him. This place is the local heavy equipment mechanic shop and his son runs another shop in the area as well. Others around here are cat dealers about an hour or more away. I don't know of any individual heavy equipment mechanics near by. Any of you in Missouri !? Glad this forum is back up btw. Seemed like it was down for weeks, couldn't get my researching in.
There are a number of HEF members in MO. DMiller, Crane Operator, & Tiny to name but three.......... Try PM'ing those three guys and ask if they know anyone.
Try checking with some local excavators and see if they have some old guy that ran one of the Cat loaders and hire him to test it.
That’s some tall money for a L: everything on it including the hour meter, the brake pedal, even the wear on the pedals, etc. would have to be first rate with some kinda warranty for that money even though stuff is Bananas. That’s 1st gen 53 money. we sold our 85J for seems like $15k about 10 years ago: it was purchased as an update from the H machines but no one liked the L so it wound up sitting for years.
Yea I knew the price was high to begin with and was ok with it if this machine is in top shape. I just don't know enough about them to make that judgement. Another farmer I know suggested have the seller honor a warranty of some kind and if refuses then might be something the seller is not to comfortable with about the machine. Not sure if any of the cat dealers would be of any help on looking this machine over. I will try to find those members on here and pm them. Thanks for that tip nige. On the other hand hearing that beast fire up and rumble the ground I was standing on was exciting.
Just by the limited pictures the track idlers mounts need to be rebuilt will take a good welder about 8 hours and parts. The bottom of the bucket is worn out by the corner patches and the cracks on the inside. Would not be surprised if the right brake is wore out . The dealer is counting on a newbe owner getting excited and pulling out his wallet and bending over. Bob
It is odd the right brake pedal is worn so much more than the left. Also odd why the plate showing the gears for the shifter is missing. Maybe it was pounded up from years of rough operation???
hseII Has some wisdom on the 955L vs the 953. The 953 is what the guys wanted to run. Maneuvers better, better balance, but doesn't look like a Classic Cat. Most guys here are suspicious of what's hiding on this reworked machine. Bucket and brake peddle, ... I've got some Classics old Birds at my place for the foreseeable future. Your starting out fresh maybe the 953/963 would be more enjoyable run?
I have been looking for a 953 as well. This 955 popped up for sale and was hoping would be a better and safer to buy from a business that does the needed repairs and sells rather than from a seller on marketplace. What years do you guys suggest for a 953 ? From my reading I thought to stay away from the hydrostat machines ? There's a few close by.. 1986 cat 963 12k hours undercarriage listed as 85% but needs exhaust manifold gasket. Asking price is 28k 1985 cat 953 meter shows 16k hours with ripper says good undercarriage 50% asking price 40k. Tracks appear to be loose sitting on rollers and not tight like on the 955 There's a few other 963 and 953s but are around the 50k mark and not looking to spend over 30k on a machine.
Times sure have changed. I did a search on auction results, found a number of 953'S that went for less than $20K. A search of 955K/L'S shows some under 10K. I'd look at before the 953C, price is right, they didn't have a flip over cab for the 953C. I guess one year stupid was good enough. DMiller runs a 956 something send him a PM if he doesn't pop in. Having local support is very good! Someone else can lead you on spec's. I would like a place for the New Cat boys to plug their lap top in personally. I bought most of my machines at auctions fairly close, where I could go and test out the machines ahead of time. Try Ironplanet and Richie brothers.
Im just not sure about buying from a online auction as I have no idea about it. I looked but none close by me that I could find There's a 1988 963 on marketplace I just found. Engine overhauled 150hrs ago but undercarriage at 30% looks to be less to me by pictures ? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/503741251382883/
Seeing as how both tracks are on backwards I would not put much faith in their mechanical claims. Those tracks are way past 30% more like 70%. Bob
Tracks not backwards
Yes They ARE reversed, and I for one do not care for Dupont Overhauls as on the 955. Shoes are not so hot but rails look decent, SALT, could garner 70+% on those, shoes are less than 40. Would need to see rollers and sprockets up close but could easily state over 50% remaining. Twin stick bucket controls can be a challenge for some, CAT is not good for novice users, Counterintuitive on Bucket Dump and Arms Raise positions. For old Cat Skinners all looks reasonable.
I f you haven't read it enter this directly into your browser HeavyEquipmentForums There is also a Cat 943 some guys love. I would go with a Iron Planet auction with a machine that has been evaluated by them. You can then buy it far away and never see it till its dropped off. They post an inspection report and tons of pictures and ratings on all major components. They then give a warranty that it will come to you as reported or they will stand behind it. I missed a good 977L with report 3 years ago that went for under $6000, it was 20 miles away! The year before He wanted $12,000 with no certification. You can get Lucky! Do you have any machine dealers close by? Cat Yellow is special by so is a dealer that's close to You! P.S. I think DMillers ride is a 963, Ops!
Tracks are backwards on the 963, not the 955. FWD
Didn't see the 963, my bad
Come to think of it about 20 years ago and just 12 mi away. I let a 1950's FWD with 55,000 miles, single axle, hydraulic brakes, good tires, set to plow snow, with a dump box go for $255. I had never seen one, never heard of FWD (it didn't say Oshkosh on it). It looked perfect and because it didn't start after being in a hanger forever, and was gas, not diesel it is not in my shed today......... Dam!!!!!!
Found a 1986 963 high lift for sale somewhat local. Undercarriage stated as good. 2 new main hydraulic hoses. New battery's. Very little farm use in last 6 years the guy said maybe 300 hours. Asking price is 25k.
Good undercarriage can have a wide variety of interpretations. Best bet it is to have it measured by an undercarriage specialist. Were the hyd. hoses changed because they were old or they blew? If they blew and the machine wasn't shut off fairly soon there's a possibilty of further damage. It would be best to have a Cat tech inspect the machine for you. Hydrostats are great when they work but expensive when they don't work properly. That's why it's especially important to fully inspect them and how they operate when fully warmed up. .
Did you get a chance to drive it? Drive it/work it till operating temp. is reached will it go in a straight line without fussing with it. Push the bucket into the ground or a pile, push it hard do the tracks spin or does it stall out. Any idea of total hours, or when any major repairs made, take off oil filler cap take a picture at high idle 1200 or so to see blow by smoke. Post more and better pictures, only put 3 or 4 on a posting. Include ones of all pivot points and where the piston rods come out of the cylinders also all around the bucket, these can show age/usage as well as condition. Squat down take pictures at idlers and sprockets.
Thanks for those inspection tips ! One hose was replaced because it blew out and they just did both since had to pull the belly pan. I have not gone to look at the machine yet, hopefully this week. Those pictures are from the sellers posting. Going to see if DMilller would have time to meet me on site as he is localish and the seller mentioned his friend is a tech at the cat dealer so wouldn't want a biased cat tech looking it over and not taking sellers word that his friend looked it over either.
A good tech. should do an honest assessment based on measurements, tests and performance and it shouldn't matter if he's friends or enemies with the seller. Take undercarriage for example, proper measurements give the honest % of life left or life used depending on how it's interpreted. Something like hyd. pressures similarity don't lie. The price seems good if it checks out.
Don't forget foot peddles can also be helpful to determine the amount of use. Do all the gauges work? Flip the cab over look for cobbled stuff, is the wiring buggered up? Still looks good for its age, how many layers of paint does it have? If your liking it... get busy checking it out. Give DMiller a couple days pay if he can help you out.
Thanks for those tips again. Unfortunately DMiller is to busy with his own life dealings. I messaged crane operator as well. The 955L I originally posted about has already sold. This 963 I was going to look at just sold this morning .. less than 24 hrs after posted !! These things are selling fast for sure A 953 was just posted a few hours pretty local to me. Seller states 75 on undercarriage and is asking 28k. So far from what iv learned from you guys the pads are worn beyond the 75. Hours show 11k. No history on any work done to it. Seller is fine having a technician look it over.
Know a few contractors where having to add 20k to get a machine up and improved is just a drop in the bucket as opposed to buying the new junk. The 963D at the yard is down, something popped and is blowing trans oil everywhere at the clay pile. Gonna have to get pans off to see what failed. Electronic Deeres are always having fits and the DEF swilling systems are more problematic than ever. Many guys are buying machines back they sold a few years ago as knew were dependable, a little work and back to work.
Doesn't have their guaranty and I don't know much on these... but https://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/it...&utm_campaign=IP+-+Saved+Search_1649389800349
MP bucket will tend to be heavy but functional, was either a demolitions machine or logging/clearance use to have rear sweeps.
Having the engine on the opposite side helps. My 977L has the clam bucket and it gets nose heavy fast.
Not a bad looking B however that machine has a lot more than 2700 hours on it. Crap shoot without any oil samples. I would at a minimum want to see engine, coolant, hydraulic and final drive samples. DM's right recently used for land clearing with the rake that is being sold seperately.
Iron Planet has given me contact info on sellers before. You can go test drive and take your own samples if the sellers are willing.