Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC45MR3 running hot

Jim S ยท 2019-05-22 17:41

Hey guys, looking for a little advice. Have a 2012 komatsu pc45mr3 that has started to run hot when I'm working it above a 50 degree day. Temp guage gets almost to red, before I idle it down and let it cool. It drops back down within about 5 minutes of idling. I was running it non stop bailing dirt, with it throttled up when it first started. Tried blowing out all of the radiators with compressed air and they are all clean. Hydro level is good as well as coolant. Ran it again today digging out a patio in 75 degree temps and the temp rose right up again. No leaks anywhere on the machine. Machine has 3100 hours on it. Any pointers in the right direction would greatly be appreciated! Jim Curb Appeal Landscape Contractors

Replies3
  1. #1Theweldor2019-05-22 20:08

    Check it with an IR gun first. That will atleast get you i the ballpark if it is a bad sensor, gage or maybe the thermostat.

  2. #2Jim S2019-05-22 20:29

    Thank you, I'll definitely give it a shot. Was fine last year, sat over the winter from late January to March and then started acting up as soon as the weather warmed up. Its my first machine, what would you say the parameters for a normal temp would be? Same as any diesel truck? 200-220?

  3. #3Theweldor2019-05-22 20:46

    Being it is what I would call a new machine it would probably be within that range. They have gone to running things warmer than years ago to meet emissions. Keep in mind it is difficult to clean between hyd coolers, radiators and air conditioning condensers than one would think. Loose or worn fan belts are something to keep in mind also. Check the simple stuff first by all means.