Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC60-6- Attaching a tamper to existing hydraulic system

big builder ยท 2021-06-26 07:25

Hello Everyone, Many here have helped me more than I can quanitfy over the last few years with my PC-60. Without your help I dont know where I would be... The machine is working well. ( knock on wood) and I love it. The machine has a thumb on it. Plumbed to the foot pedal. I also have a tilting ditching bucket that attaches to two other lines plumbed to the end. There are two valves to route the fluid to the quick connects to use the ditching bucket. I strap the thumb up when I do this. Works well for the number of times I need to switch over. The machine had a tamper on it when the previous owner had it. I didnt get the tampoer with the machine but I have one of my own that I welded a wedge coupler on. I have attached it and it works. But......there are a number of hydraulic systems on it that I know were installed when for when the tamper is being used. The problem is the previous owner did not remember the proper configuation for tamper use. Wondering if anyone here recogognizes this set up and could tell me what they do? Specifically there are two valves near the base of the boom that I have no idea what they are for. I have attached some pictures but not sure if its possible to see what I mean. Any help is greatly appreiciated.

Replies5
  1. #1John C.2021-06-26 12:45

    It looks to me like the tamer plumbing in on the outside tubes going up the boom. The tube and valving on the cab side has a relief valve block and a shutoff valve. That would be for oil going from the main control valve to the tamper. The tube on the passenger side should be the return piping. The oil would return from the tamper and the open hand valve would shift the flow into the cooler or direct to the hydraulic tank instead of returning through the main control valve.

  2. #2big builder2021-06-26 17:11

    Hi John, Thank you for the information. The way the valves are confirgured now the wrist o twist bucket works as intended. I guess what I am really asking is should I be changing any of those two valves postions on the bottom of the boom when I run the tamper? I am worried they were put in there for good reason to protect against damage when running the tamper?

  3. #3big builder2021-06-26 17:17

    In at it closer I think there is only one set of auxillary hydraulics run to the bucket. With a valve to switch them from the thumb ( no quick connect) to the quick connect ( wrist o twist or tamper) I just dont know what position those valves should be in for tamper use.

  4. #4John C.2021-06-26 18:22

    In tamper or motor use, the manual shut off valve should be turned in line with the tubing. It will let oil go out one side and return to the cooler or tank whichever way they originally plumbed it. Which way do you set the valves in order to run the wrist?

  5. #5big builder2021-06-26 18:32

    I have never changed the two valves on the boom. I only have changed the switching valves on the arm to switch from the thumb to wrist of twist. The pictures I attached are how it is set to run the thumb or the tilting bucket.