Another issue with this excavator maybe someone can help. I changed the hydro fluid when I bought it. it had unknown fluid in it. I filled the tank up to ~15gals of Traveller All Season Hydraulic Oil ISO 46. I changed all filters fyi - There are no fluid cooler in this 1989 Excavator , After about 1.5hrs of digging , the performance slows down and the fluid is too hot in the reservoir tank Okay before changing the hydro fluid , I did not have this issue... I'm thinking that these old excavator uses SAE motor oil like SAE20 or SAE30... Or maybe its time to add the oil cooler to the return line... any suggestion? do anyone have experience with an older china made excavator
There's very little experience with this excavator on this site. How about some pictures of the hydraulic pumps, the control valves, and anything that seems important to the hydraulic system? Then we'd at least be able to guess what we're guessing about. How much did you use it before changing the fluid? and was it in the same temperatures as currently?
What's considered too hot? My skid steer has a fairly large reservoir and it gets hot to the touch, actually hot enough it basically burns the crappy factory paint off. Do you have a manual that specifies what oil to use? Might want to use an AW32 hyd. oil which is closer to SAE 10 weight.
Yeap it's hot to the touch so hot that I can not place my hand on it. The excavator still preform but it's slow. Before I ran it to dig out a big stump took about 1hr and I also did some heavy digging for another 1hr and I had full power and it was hot but I could place my hand on the tank. I will have pictures of the hydro system later after church.
It would be nice to know what the actual temp reading is .
View attachment 241438 I have some pictures of the pump and valve, also I removed all the relief valves and all where good. Once I put everything back together I will run ot and get a temperature reading from each cylinder and the return tank.
Just need a temp reading on the reservoir when you think it's too hot. The radiator can get too hot to touch and hyd's. can run at similar temps, sometimes a little higher too. I think if you're under 200 deg's. you're probably OK. If everything functions slower when hot then you need to look into it more.