Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC60-7

Mark A Weiss ยท 2021-09-25 17:05

I installed a new ignition switch in my excavator yesterday because the old one did not work well or fit properly with the key you had to really manipulate it to get the key to turn. And the heat position did not work at all the key would not go in that direction it was just locked up. So I put a new switch in which works in both directions now but the thing I'm not seeing is the green light that's supposed to come on to indicate that the heat is on in the engine block. The instruction manual says it supposed to come on for 30 seconds then start flashing when it's heated up. Is it possible that this only works when the temperature is below a certain temperature or is there something else wrong? When I turn the key into this position the other lights come on like oil pressure and Generator but the green light for the heater does not come on.

Replies2
  1. #1John C.2021-09-26 10:18

    I've seen those engines start at 0 degrees F without any heat. It isn't something I would be worried about unless the engine is tired and low on compression. As I recall, it only has a grid heater in the intake but I could be wrong. Do you know the model of the engine?

  2. #2Mark A Weiss2021-09-26 17:18

    4D95L-1 is the engine model according to the plate attached to the rocker arm cover. I tried it again today, and I got a different result. The oil pressure, alternator and, after a moment, the heater (green) lamps all came on. So I held the key for 30 seconds after which the green lamp started to blink, as described in the manual. Possibly the temperature dipping into the 50s overnight was the difference this time. It does seem to operate normally. Whether there is actual heating or not, I've no idea, but I would assume it probably works. Does this engine have glow plugs?