Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC78 questions

TANDWTRUCKING ยท 2021-02-23 01:21

Hello, My first Komatsu excavator here. Wondering is somebody could give me the model year of this machine? I'm also looking for advice on how to convert the pattern selector over to SAE/ JD controls?

Replies7
  1. #1uffex2021-02-23 08:21

    Good day That is a pattern changing valve you illustrate , I'm confused undoing the thumb screw and turning the lever will change the pattern. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2John C.2021-02-23 10:53

    As far as I can tell, it is a gray market machine. That serial number does not show up anywhere in my information.

  3. #3TANDWTRUCKING2021-02-24 00:25

    Yes, it does change the pattern, but unfortunatley, none of the options are SAE pattern

  4. #4TANDWTRUCKING2021-02-24 00:25

    So what does a "Gray market machine" mean?

  5. #5uffex2021-02-24 03:47

    Good day TT I understand better your thread I believe you have the basic information if you need more please drop me a line, grey market machines are those which do not comply with local parts books these will have been sourced from outside the USA. In real terms the dealers have not had there bite of the dollar cherry. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6John C.2021-02-24 09:32

    The gray market is where machines were built for places in the world other than North America and in particular the United States. On those machines you may find plenty of differences in engines, hydraulic cylinder sizes and sheet metal like the cab shells and glass. In your case you have an after market pattern changer installed. To get the pattern to what you want it to be, you will have to trace out all the pilot hoses from the hand controls and hook them up to main control valve spools to get the pattern that works for you.

  7. #7TANDWTRUCKING2021-02-25 00:47

    Appreciate the responses. Thanks.