Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PW170ES-6 – removing transmission and travel motors

husabetunia · 2026-08-17 09:34

Hello! I’m planning to remove the transmission from a Komatsu PW170ES-6 wheeled excavator for inspection/repair. The reason is that the transmission is filling with hydraulic oil, and the machine also seems to have rather poor travel power, especially in high-speed range. Before starting the job, I’d like to hear from anyone who has removed this assembly before: Is it better to remove the transmission together with both hydraulic travel motors as one complete assembly, or should the travel motors be removed from the transmission first while everything is still in the machine, and then remove the transmission separately? The workshop manual shows the components and lists the removal / installation procedure, but it's not very clear about the removal order of motors / transmission. So, I’m particularly interested in practical experience — clearance, weight/balance, access to bolts and hydraulic lines, and which method makes the job easier and safer. Any experience with PW160 / PW170 / PW180 machines of the same generation would also be very helpful.

Replies1
  1. #1John C.2026-08-17 12:33

    I think that I've seen two PW machines in my entire career. They just didn't catch on in the states like they did in Europe.