Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

komatsu year model reference?

TD-8 · 2009-05-14 20:57

we bought a D20A komatsu, but we do not know what series it is. the serial number tag is hard to read because it has been sand blasted but the best i can tell the number is 15837. the strange thing about it doesn't have lever or joy stick steering, it is on 2 pedals the have a common center, it makes kind of an "s" between them but you can still hit both pedals with 1 foot. other than that, it is identical to the one below. what do ya'll think it is? thanks luke:usa

Replies44
  1. #1darinray2009-05-15 07:51

    Nothing in my serial number book that goes that low. You shoudl be able to read the serial number on the very back part of the body on the left side by the final drive. It will be perpendicular to the ground. Let me know and I'll run the serial number for you. Darin

  2. #2TD-82009-05-16 20:23

    the serial number was right where you said it was. it is a d20a-5 and the serial number is 45833. thanks again, luke:usa

  3. #3darinray2009-05-16 22:03

    Good deal. The serial number states it is a 1979. Hope this helps and enjoy it. Take care. Darin

  4. #4TD-82009-05-16 22:34

    thanks!

  5. #5cropduster692011-12-01 07:13

    darinray, for a Komatsu D31E S/N 40088, what year would this be? thanks

  6. #6cropduster692011-12-01 07:15

    darin, on a Komatsu D31E S/N 40088 what is the year of manufacture? thanks

  7. #7darinray2011-12-01 09:30

    Looks like a 1987 but have one book saying 1986 and another one saying 1988. ???????/

  8. #8cropduster692011-12-01 09:50

    thanks darin, also have questioned the local dealer and awaiting his reply also. Don't know if this would help but the M/N and S/N infor were taken from data plate that was actually attached to the blade. The M/N was DDR 031 2D, don't know if having this would better pin point the year, but again, my thanks for your time.

  9. #9darinray2011-12-01 10:41

    That doesn't help me with my books but maybe the dealer will. Not sure though> Good luck.

  10. #10cropduster692011-12-01 17:47

    hey darin, just got an email back from the dealer and was told it is a 1987, so you did good, hehe, again, my thanks for your time.

  11. #11cropduster692011-12-20 07:43

    hey Darin, would you have a line on where to purchase/find service/maintenance/parts manuals for the Komatsu D31E? Also, while doing some research on same, I often see a dash number after D31E-??. Can you tell me what reference this dash number is? It seems to make a difference in what manuals.

  12. #12dblaneyfan2011-12-20 09:10

    Hey cropduster, With a 40000 s/n this should be a D31E-18. I have a copy of the service manual that you can download, no parts manual at the moment. The link below takes about 10 minutes to download over DSL. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=735TXE8W If I find a parts manual I will let you know.

  13. #13mrkomatsu12011-12-20 09:22

    My book shows to be a 1979

  14. #14cropduster692011-12-21 07:16

    hey db, thanks for the info concerning the dash number, and I really appreciate the "link" for the service manual. yes, please let me know if and when you might run across a parts manual.

  15. #15dblaneyfan2011-12-21 10:01

    No prob cropduster, hope it helps. You can use www.komatsupartsbook.com for parts in the meantime, just choose the D31P-18 dozer, most parts should be the same. I believe the main difference in the D31E and D31P is that the D31P has a longer roller frame, the roller frame is mounted farther back on the case.

  16. #16Iron@Dirt2011-12-21 19:30

    Think E's are standard width pads, probably 18" and P's are wide tracks probably 24". On D39's that is the way it works ,anyway.

  17. #17cropduster692011-12-22 11:23

    Hey db, thanks again, the link you provided is great.

  18. #18liper2012-02-16 07:31

    can someone please re-share the file since the link is dead already.. thanks..

  19. #19maria ruby2013-05-03 01:13

    Favor, may I also know the manufacture year and country of origin of komatsu D65PX-15, swampy dozer with Body No. : 67871. Also, the manufacture year and country of origin of komatsu GD511-A-1, Motor Grader with Body No. 13337?

  20. #20jocko1652021-10-18 13:21

    I have a D31A-16 dozer with serial # 43708. Can anyone tell me the year

  21. #21John C.2021-10-18 16:31

    Nothing in my references. It may be a gray market machine.

  22. #22Ryan drake2022-08-19 00:36

    I have a D20A-5 dozer need to know the yr serial number is 56788 I can't find any info on it...

  23. #23darinray2022-08-19 07:34

    Welcome aboard Ryan... Your dozer is a 1984 model.. Enjoy...

  24. #24Tankzilla2022-09-21 19:44

    howdy I have a Komatsu d20A-5 serial number 57609. also I am rebuilding the motor its a 4D94- 2 I found a site for all manuals they cost about 10 bucks PDF files. I will share the link. I would like to know what year this dozer is. thank you from Nor Cal Mendocino forest. and plz check out the link and plz let me know if this is s good site. https://myservicemanuals.com/p/koma...iesel-engine-shop-manual-sebe6142a03-english/

  25. #25John C.2022-09-21 19:55

    Your machine appears to be a 1985 model year. I don’t know about the site.

  26. #26Badjones2022-09-23 16:24

    Hi all, if I may ask I have purchased a D31-16 s/n 25645 in Australia, seems like a good machine. Can anyone help with a year of manufacture.

  27. #27John C.2022-09-23 22:23

    My sources don't track the overseas machines. What I do have shows serial numbers with no prefix starting in 1977 and ending in 1988.

  28. #28Aaron N2022-11-21 19:36

    Do you kmow the year for a D20P-6 SN:72005?

  29. #29John C.2022-11-21 19:48

    My sources only show up to Sn. 71300 which states it is a 1990 model.

  30. #30darinray2022-11-22 07:55

    If it's a D31A-16 it will be a 1977... If it's a D31P-16 then it's a 1978...

  31. #31K2552024-01-27 10:23

    Hi folks, first post here. I have just acquired a Komatsu D31A-16, sn 266**. Any suggestions where I can find the year of manufacture, and parts? Thanks.

  32. #32darinray2024-01-29 11:01

    Yup... Contact me...

  33. #33Krackerjack92024-02-15 16:20

    yep Darin is the Go to man for you... he is the alstar running back and recievers all time MVP!!!!

  34. #34FlintNelson2024-03-10 13:42

    Hello everyone, I am trying to determine the year this Komatsu D21-A dozer is and engine make, this is stamped on the left rear by the final drive in a vertical orientation. The machine is power shift although this stamping is for a straight drive if I understand correctly. Thanks in advance. Here is the tag from the valve cover on the engine. The valve cover has Komatsu on top. . This tag is at the operator station entry

  35. #35Krackerjack92024-03-10 18:43

    My serial number is 72157 and was told its a 1991 so my guess yours is a 1990 possibly a 1989 model

  36. #36FlintNelson2024-03-10 20:55

    Thank you

  37. #37darinray2024-03-11 10:54

    1991 model you have...

  38. #38FlintNelson2024-03-12 15:35

    Thank you

  39. #39Jobuwd2024-08-12 21:07

    Sorry to hijack the thread but I need to know the year of my Komatsu D20A-7 dozer with serial number 77216. Hoping Darinray is still out there.

  40. #40Krackerjack92024-08-12 23:32

    maybe 97 or 98

  41. #41miller680002024-09-17 08:53

    Figure I might as well. Bought a new to me dozer a couple weeks ago. It was sold to me as a ‘78 d21a-5 but after seeing some of these year/sn#’s I’m thinking it may be newer. Anyone willing to look up SN #55478 for me?

  42. #42darinray2024-09-17 09:47

    1983 model... Normally they are older than what was advertised when sold...

  43. #43miller680002024-09-17 17:02

    Thanks! I’m pretty excited for it. Runs great, one steering clutch is locked up so tacking that when I get home next week. Read the whole 143 pages of the d21 section post. Such a wealth of information on this forum. Going to play around a little this fall with it then go through it all in depth over the winter.

  44. #44MD25952025-07-25 11:55

    D21A-6 Serial 62702 year please.