I have a 1984 D3b that I ran for the first time today and it has sat for at least the last 4 years. My problem is that I can not turn right at all, when I pull the right steer lever then press the pedal both tracks lock up, but to steer left the machine works fine. A guy told me that the sprocket internals may be low on fluid, but that doesnt seem like the answer too me. thanks in advance for any insight you may have
Your right steering clutch is not releasing. This can result from a few different problems. There is a hydraulic piston/cylinder assembley inside the steering clutch case that disengages the steering clutch. The pressure needs to be checked to see if the cylinder has good oil pressure. There is a pressure tap on the outside of the machine above the sprocket. If you have good pressure, (above 250psi) the problem is with the steering clutch itself. The plates and discs may be frozen up, or the release bearing may be out. Usually the release bearing goes out, and the cylinder does not have enough stroke to disengage the steering clutch. When this happens, and the brake is applied, it stalls the whole machine.:usa
Check to make sure the linkage is still hooked up, not sure if its similar on yours but on mine when you press the pedal to turn it operates 2 levers, one is the brake on that side, the other is to disenage the clutch on that side. It should be pretty clear when you're looking at it operating the pedals, compare what is happening on the left side to the right side, it could be as simple as a pin came out or the lever to disengage the clutch on the right side isn't operating as far as the left and needs adjustment.
there are two small hydraulic valves mounted on the top front side of the steering clutch compartment. they are actuated by the control linkage and work off a cam type lever. i have seen the cams and or bearings worn and not allow them to stroke the valve and release the clutch on that side. could also be the valve being bad but doubtful.
thanks for the responses Ill start checking the easiest things first. Its a little tough working and hasving to switch to reverse everytime you need to go too the right.
Now that I think back on it, Cat had a Service Magazine about those cams and rollers a few years ago. It was a repair after failure, and Cat paid for it. It is probably long expired by now.
I will finally have time too look into the machine this week. I really dont have much experience working with dozers, so If anyone could point me in the right direction, before I end up just pulling the whole back of the dozer apart. It looks like I should be able to pull the floor and that should get me somewhere, but I really dont know.
yeah pull the rear floor plate off and you have to look real close to see the bearing where it rides the cam you may even remove the cam to check the bearing.if the bearing is bad you have to pull that valve to change it
If it was working 4 years ago when it was parked , i would think the clutch pack has frozen up . Moisture would be the culprit i would say . Be careful if you try and shock it free as the clutch plates are solid fibre (no internal steel plate) . So the splines on the plates are fibre and can shear off if the brake is held on .
Does anybody know about steering problems on a TD8G when trying to push dirt uphill? I have a manual ordered but havent got it yet adjustments? what to look for help please.
Yep the drive clutches are rusted fast, a D3B has dry clutches and they set up if they set too long. jr
My 931 cat (same as a D3) would do that after sitting to long. Before you start taking things apart, find a big tree and put the blade on it, push and then work the steering clutch, always worked for me. Dave
I have a D3B that the brake seems to be stuck on the left side. The actuator to the brake does return to the original position it is stuck in the actuated position. The dozer still runs straight and I can turn right just can t turn left and has no change when mashing on the left pedal. Any ideas as to what is going on?
Sorry the actuator does NOT return to the original position.