Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

kootenay forest products

kootenays ยท 2014-10-07 23:00

Hey Guys Just newly registered onto HEF but been looking at all the neat old pics and stories from the coast for quite a while. Lots of history there for sure. Back in the 60s- 80s KFP was a big employer in the Nelson ,Kootenay lake,Lardeau area. Around the early 70s KFP brought in two big yarders from the coast to log up Crawford creek. They also had a fleet of their own trucks including I think a few off hwy Hayes. Been trying to find pics of the shows but all the oldtimers here say they never took any pictures back then. A Peter Bond was the foreman of the yarders,he was supposedly from Vancouver. Wondering if anyone here has any pics/stories of the Kootenays. A friend of mine showed me a couple of pics he got when he was taking down the Marblehead camp in Meadow Creek. An 009???? truck mounted yarder and a HDX with a pretty good jag on. When I figure out how to post the pics I will do so. Looking forward to lots of pics/stories hopefully. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1kootenays2014-10-11 00:31

    Turns out the picture I have is of K51 which I'm sure is a Saunders Truck. It looks like it is brand new. Anyone know if they came and hauled in the Kootenays or maybe the picture is from somewhere else?

  2. #2Hank R2014-10-11 08:55

    I do not know for sure but K-51 could be from the 1970's just a guess, I am thinking it could be from somewhere else. Next week I am going to make a few calls and see if I can find out for you. You could post it in the Saunders thread.

  3. #3Hank R2014-10-11 09:20

    Just looked through the Saunders pages and K-50 is working in Northern B.C topic 38, K-55 is up there also topic 81.

  4. #4kootenays2014-10-11 09:53

    The picture I have could be from Kitimat . The wood is mostly good sized hemlock. Crawford Cr had wood that size but in the pic there is a railway grade running alongside the haul road, no railway at Crawford Cr The only place around here I can think of is maybe the camp/log dump at Tye on the west side of Kootenay Lake across from Boswell. I will figure out how to get the picture onto here and I'll post it into the Saunders thread. Gotta do some more research about this Roy Saunders,he must have been a real go getter. Thanks for the replys.