Hey, I'm curious if the startup procedure on my old kubota is normal. I have to turn the key one click and let the electric fuel pump run for about 20-30sec, then she'll usually always fire up. If it doesn't fire up I run the fuel pump for another 5-10 sec and by the third time she's always started. Here's a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nm3QRredfChcits46 Is this normal? I looked in the parts diagram didn't see a check valve or anything. I'm assuming the fuel system is losing pressure when it's off. There aren't any fuel leaks that I've seen.
I always have to preheat my older kubotas, including my D1402s. Turn key backwards and hold until glow indicator coil glows bright enough to light a cigarette, set throttle at 1/8, and crank until started.
Oh interesting, didn't think about the glow plug aspect of it. I would be surprised if it needed 20seconds of glow plugs right now (about 80F in NC), but maybe it does? I'm eventually tee a fuel pressure gauge inline and see if that's it, or maybe it does just need the glow plugs.
My skid steer(94) with the indirect injection Kubota needs glow plugs for the initial start up no matter what the ambient temperature is. It could be 100F and still needs the glow plugs. Maybe your key switch is different but I suspect the time turning the key is for glow plugs. When it's cold, I put the throttle to full to start it and as soon as it's running bring it back to idle.
All Kubota IDI motors require a preheat before starting. And a fully warmed motor can require a short preheat if left off for more than 15 minutes.
No problem with using glow plugs just wish the machine started a little easier when it's really cold. Block heater is only 500 watts and fits on the back of the head. I'd guess there's not enough coolant there to use a higher watt block heater. I run dual batteries but don't do snow removal anymore so don't really need dual batteries. The plunger and contacts in the starter getting arced and not working is really annoying. Original starter worked great all the time. When it started acting up had it rebuilt by the ND distributor using original parts and it was arcing within 2 weeks. Always worried when I shut the machine off, it's not going to start and be in the way. This is most apparent when I'm working on my MX track. I put an extra ground cable from the starter to the frame but it still takes a few tries sometimes for the starter to engage.