Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Older kubota kh70 add hydraulic thumb

John V · 2021-07-03 14:12

Hey all, hoping to get some advice on adding a hydraulic thumb to this old girl. I've got a decent idea of what to do, but I get lost in the weeds when it comes to the details like what exact valve I should use. Currently, excavator does not have a valve for aux hydro. I think I understand my options are: add another spool valve to the bank, or splice in a diverter valve to the bucket or dozer lines (in this case, the bucket/dozer control would then actuate the thumb depending on the diverter's setting, right?). There is space on the second bank for another spool valve: Shopping under kubota kh66 online (as the parts appear basically the same), kubota wants about $700 for another spool valve. That's also just the valve, not including the foot pedal and all other required parts. Ideally I'd have a solenoid actuated valve tacked on there, then a switch on a stick for actuating. Part that I don't have any knowledge on: how would I figure out style spool valve mates there? And would it come integrated with a solenoid, or would the solenoid attach to the spool valve as kind of an add-on? If all that is prohibitively expensive, is it possible to add an electronic diverter valve on the dipperstick to use the bucket hydraulics for the thumb? Thank you for your help, John edit: the pump feeding that valve block is rated at 7.7gpm

Replies8
  1. #1John V2021-07-03 14:59

    Would this valve do the trick? https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...lve-w-12-Volt-DC-Work-Section-PB-9SV-1E-Y.axd bolt mounting pattern looks about right. No idea what the ports look like on the side of my valve block... don't wanna take off the outer plate and mess up the orings for no good reason

  2. #2John V2021-07-03 17:34

    cleaned up this id tag on the back of the valve block. Doubt this will help too much considering it's in japanese and dated to 1985! I guess my questions boils down to whether the valve sections are meant to be interchangeable between manufacturers, or are they not compatible? I have a feeling the latter. Which would mean I would go the diverter valve solution, or add a separate 1 spool valve block with relief valve and have the P/T from the current block tee off to the new 1 spool block.

  3. #3John V2021-07-03 18:18

    Alright looks like a husco valve block

  4. #4uffex2021-07-04 04:20

    Good day John The valve you have commented on has no circuit illustration which you need to be able to see if it would work, we have made information explaining the options for thumb connection you can find for free at excatech.org >Library > adapted applications. Attached is some of that information you may find helpful. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5John V2021-07-04 14:28

    Here's a hydraulic schematic. thanks for the link, that's helpful! It feels a little too hacky for me, I'd rather run it off the main valve block if possible. If I can't find an aftermarket 12v solenoid actuated valve, do they make solenoid actuators that attach to a normal pushrod actuated valve, so I can run the thumb with a microswitch instead of foot/handle levers?

  6. #6uffex2021-07-04 15:42

    Hi John The circuit diagram is that for your machine really need the valve you propose to use, to answer your question in most cases it is possible to convert a manual shifting spool to a hydraulic (pilot) shifting version. Request a schematic from the valve supplier and post it we can then see what problems may be ahead for you. Adding a segment to the main valve bank would be more difficult I suggest you stay with your original plan to use the bucket line's and add a diversion valve that is as the information I have posted to you. Come back with the schematic and I will try to help out. Kind regards Uffex

  7. #7John V2021-07-04 16:50

    The reason I asked about adapting a manual spool into an electronically actuated one is that I could Just buy the kubota valve section (68741-61510) and add an actuator to it. $700 is a bit more than I’d like to spend on the valve, but might be the most straightforward instead of spending lots of time to find one that’s solenoid actuated and is compatible with this valve block

  8. #8uffex2021-07-05 04:21

    Hi John I believe you may find adding a diversion valve much easier than you imagine, as long as we know what you have and where you intend to go we can help you step by step. Attached conversion of manual to hydraulic or electric hydraulic. kind regards Uffex