Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota kx121 hydraulic cylinder rebuild

topfli8979 ยท 2024-09-14 23:08

I'm repacking my main boom cylinder and cannot get the gland nut past this collar. I'm sure it needs to come off the ram but it will not budge... anyone know if it's threaded? Or how to remove it?

Replies3
  1. #1Kobe Steel2024-09-15 14:48

    That is the cushion sleeve and for most cylinders I've done it usually slides off the rod past the thread. If the piston nut has been over or under tightened then it may have caused some distortion and fretting to the sleeve causing it to pinch up on the rod. Kind regards

  2. #2materthegreater2024-09-15 19:53

    Try heating it up (just the sleeve) with a heat gun (not a torch) and then tap on it with a piece of wood or aluminum as a drift to keep from denting it.

  3. #3topfli89792024-09-15 20:22

    Thank you both, I got it off with some heat and a block of wood like suggested.