Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota KX161-2 Cylinder Head Interchangeability

Beckbenj · 2023-12-01 11:43

Hi All, I’d recently found a crack in the cylinder head of my KX161-2 (V2203 engine) and ordered a replacement from GrainFarmer.com. Just got the new head in today and there are few extra cooling ports and plugs which I was not expecting (circled in red on the attached picture). My understanding is that my original head (picture attached) is a “Type A, 6 hole” and the head I received is a “Type B”. Does anyone know if these are interchangeable? From first glance they seem to be minus the extra coolant holes at each end of the head.

Replies3
  1. #1Beckbenj2023-12-01 11:45

    Here’s a site offering the cylinder head that shows pictures of Type A and Type B. V2203 Cylinder Head Types

  2. #2Beckbenj2023-12-01 14:06

    For anyone that has a similar situation in the future, I got confirmation from the seller that these heads are interchangeable as the cylinder head gasket and engine block will block these ports off.

  3. #3HarleyHappy2025-01-14 10:54

    Well how did it work out? Is the engine still running and how well is it doing? I have an older V2203 with the 6 hole block and the new heads are 95% 10 hole. Little leery as you can get a 10 hole A sty head for 300 bucks and there seems to be only one vendor for the 6 hole head and wants over twice as much.