Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota KX41-3 1000 hour report

strott · 2010-11-18 14:56

I know most of you guys run larger equipment but wondered if this would be of interest to anybody looking into buying a new/used mini or midi excavator in the near future. Base machine: Kubota KX41-3S Year of manufacture: 2009 Current hour meter reading: 1062 Factory fitted items Full cab Kubota Anti-theft plus Immoboliser Radio/CD player Kubota (Miller) ‘scoop’ dedicated quick hitch and buckets Retro fitted items 3rd line auxillary hydraulic return 950mm short dipper arm Performance I find this excavator to be very smooth and precise whilst still allowing fast cycle times when required, the ability to carry out simultaneous movements at once is a great help whether it be slewing, dipper raising and bucket tipping or tracking in a straight line whilst moving the upper structure and emptying the bucket, it can all be done without any reduction in speed or loss of power. The machine has never left me feeling that I need more power (even with the standard longer dipper arm) it just pushes and pushes, Where I work is mainly solid yellow clay and the excavator has no problem pushing a 600mm wide digging bucket through the ground even during a dry summer. Flint doesn’t last very long against the machine either even when trenching to depths of 1.5 metres into the rock. The lifting power is also scary!! which allows some pretty big tree stumps to be pulled out and then moved around, however the lifting power is really shown when running my soil screening bucket which can weigh approx 250kg when fully loaded but the machine will lift it up with the dipper arm fully extended – no grumbling, no noise, no slow movements!! The tracks have more than enough power and don’t ‘stall’ whilst trying to turn on some ground like my previous excavator did, the normal tracking speed is more than adequate for making progress around site but the 2nd speed really shifts the machine if required. Reliability Other than the routine servicing (250 hours) and greasing the only thing I have had to do is top up the hydraulic oil which was due to either the attachment leaking or the quick couplers leaking!! Not missed a beat otherwise. Fuel consumption Obviously there are many varying factors with regards to consumption but in a worst case scenario when running at full throttle using the heavy soil screening bucket the engine uses 1.65 litres an hour. Comfort The cab is spacious and bright, there is plenty of adjustment in the suspended seat and foot/floor room is good – the auxillary and offset pedals are on the floor but when not in use the pedals fold flat to allow them to be used as footrests. The servo controls are a nice shape which are easy to hold and do not require too much movement to fully engage full flow to any function. I usually spend 7 plus hours a day in the seat and certainly don’t wake up dreading another day in the seat, no numb body parts or back ache plus the cab helps keep the weather out Obviously the main downside of a cab is the reduced visibility but this machine isn’t too bad, there is a lot of glass the only place which really suffers with poor visibility is the lower left hand side below the sliding window where the heater sits. This is only an issue when using the boom offset to the left as you can’t see the bucket clearly without bending over and looking out of the window, In general though visibility over the side(s) is quite good. The wing mirrors show you what you is going on beside you and to the side of the counterweight Functionality/ease of servicing All controls are in easy reach, the 2 speed tracking button is on the dozer blade lever so ideal for use when backfilling – it can be set to permantly ‘on’ so you do not have to keep the button depressed when tracking long distances like on some other makes. Routine servicing is simple to do, every thing is in easy reach under the rear bonnet, access to the side of the radiator is the main issue here – it is near impossible to get between the counterweight and the radiator to clear away sucked in debris. Greasing is very easy thanks to the grease nipples being situated in very easy to reach positions, you can see every nipple straight on – no need for a flexi-tube on the end of the grease gun. The beacon holder fitted to the top of the cab allows a lamp to be securely fitted without running cables everywhere, a switch on the dashboard allows you to turn this on/off as required. A 12 v socket under the right control console is handy for charging your phone e.t.c The quick hitch is very compact, light and easy to use – likewise the buckets are very strong. Fit and finish The excavator is very well put together, the very thick counterweight is curved which is helpful for working tight up to obstacles the only downside of the curved shape is that you do not feel it when you touch something like a lump of concrete whilst slewing, leading to me finding a go faster stripe around the back of the machine that I’d rather not have The plastic bonnet is capable of absorbing bumps rather than cracking under impact so the engine compartment stays protected even after damage has occurred. So far there is very little wear on the pins and bushes, they all seem tight like new including the boom pin and dipper pin, although there is approx 3mm of movement between the tipping/bucket linkages (see pics). The most play has developed between the quick hitch and the end of the dipper arm where there is approx a 3-4mm of movement, obviously leading to a slight amount of side to side bucket movement - I plan to take this slack up with some shims. Sorry its a long one but thanks for reading. Some pics of the machine:

Replies22
  1. #1245dlc2010-11-18 15:24

    That's a nice little machine, I don't understand why Kubota will sell a machine in the U.K. with a cab and here in Canada where we have actual cold weather we can't get a heated cab.

  2. #2Digger Dan2010-11-18 23:26

    Thats a nice writeup, good read, I just picked mine up from service tonight (u15) and I have to say it is a very handy tool, biggest thing I lifted so far is a 700 gallon oil tank that it was able to pick up to full boom height with the thumb and bucket to load in a dumpster, the salvage guy was as impressed as I was... Speaking of thumbs you would not belive how much more you would enjoy that digger if it had one, but thats another story, cheers

  3. #3strott2010-11-19 14:49

    Yeah -thumbs are a real rarity in the uk :beatsme you might find a fixed thumb on a large demolition contractors machine but thats it!! I know I would find one useful, especially when picking up lumps of concrete, roots or buckets Only reservation would be the additional weight hanging on the end of the dipper arm, would it affect the smoothness of the machine for grading/levelling e.t.c??

  4. #4245dlc2010-11-19 22:48

    Yeah I have to agree, the only time I want a thumb is when I have a lot of demolition type work and need to grab irregular shaped objects like concrete, timbers, and stumps. I was in Vancouver this past summer and found it amazing so many excavators were equipped with thumbs and yet weren't getting used. Plus all that added weight reduces the ability to use a larger sized bucket when bulking out loose material and it also gets in the way when digging trenches closer into the machine. I think if I was to get a thumb for this size of machine I'd just get a mechanical one that I cant remove easily. What I want when I buy my first machine in a couple years is a tilt bucket, which is far handier than a thumb.

  5. #5joispoi2010-11-20 05:55

    Nice clean machine you keep there. Doesn't the shorter reach bother you on the grading and clean-up jobs?

  6. #6joispoi2010-11-20 06:01

    That doesn't sound right. They sell them in the USA, they must have them near you. Maybe you just have to ask nicely.

  7. #7Digger Dan2010-11-20 09:05

    I think he means that cabs are not available here in a machine that size unlike the one posted.

  8. #8245dlc2010-11-20 13:18

    I did ask nicely and he said they don't sell them with cabs in Canada. Partly why I think I might go with a Bobcat machine (there are other reasons why to but that's for a different thread).

  9. #9strott2010-11-20 14:37

    The shorter reach is barely noticeable - at times you could think if I only had an extra six inches eek: ) but you could say that on any machine so where do you stop??!! The shorter arm gives more lifting capacity and helps take the strain off the machine when running the screening bucket. The other advantage to me is when excavating on pavements for drop kerbs/driveways e.t.c I need to load a lorry which is parked right up against the pavement usually parrallel with the machine so the shorther arm means that you can spin round at full speed and the dipper/bucket is high enough to avoid the side of the lorry whereas with the longer arm I would need to slow down whilst the dipper raises that bit higher to miss the side of the lorry. It just means faster cycle times the same goes for loading my tracked dumpers in tight spaces with the dumper right close to you.

  10. #10joispoi2010-11-21 03:03

    That makes sense for loading. Do you have any pictures of the screening bucket in action?

  11. #11Digger Dan2010-11-21 07:51

    How many different buckets have you got for the digger and what sizes? I just picked up a 36 inch clean-up yesterday from some other type of machine (odd ears) and need to get my lugs on there to try it. just mostly want it for moving material quickly when backfilling ect. So now I have a 12" dig an 18" dig and a 24 and 36 inch clean-up. Only one I would like to have now is a 6" tile bucket which I will likely make

  12. #12strott2010-11-21 16:45

    I have 9, 12, 18 24 inch digging buckets, a 40 inch grading bucket and a 48 inch grader for moving loose material quickly!! plus the screening bucket.

  13. #13pickles2010-11-21 21:16

    do you have pictures of your buckets?

  14. #14strott2010-11-22 15:19

    I haven't got any pictures of the digging buckets (yet!!) but here is the screening bucket:

  15. #15strott2010-11-23 16:34

    Some of the digging buckets aswell - I forgot about the 24 inch multiscreen bucket (one on the right in 1st photo)

  16. #16strott2010-11-23 16:37

    Screening bucket in action:

  17. #17245dlc2010-11-23 20:56

    That multiscreen bucket how is it in sticky clay? I remember years ago I was helping my dad dig a trench for something and I was getting fed up with mud sticking to the spade so I started using his digging fork as it had less surface area for mud to stick and it actually worked quite well.

  18. #18strott2010-11-24 14:48

    Not too sure on that - only used it for seperating soil from roots/stones/debris e.t.c. But I reckon your right it should mean less 'stickage'

  19. #19Kris2011-07-04 11:35

    I agree very clean machine,, that is how I keep mine,,clean and maintaind,,,

  20. #20Kris2011-07-04 11:38

    Does your have ac too,

  21. #21Kris2011-07-04 11:43

    I will have to check in on that screening bucket,, that will comin handy on several projects, and clay will be always sticky no matter what bucket you have on.

  22. #22strott2011-07-06 10:21

    No - A/C isn't an option on these machines, wish it was!!