Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota svl 95-2s problem please help!!

Rhino101 · 2017-02-13 08:55

I own a svl95 has about 330 hours on it nice and very strong machine. The problem I am having and still having is with the def system. I am getting codes e9521 And e9602 And the machine reduces power and goes into a limp mode. The codes are def and scr system related claiming def fluid deteriorated etc. I have drained the def tank, cleaned , and replaced fluid. Still does the same thing. I am assuming one of the sensors has some of the flaked up def fluid on it causing the problem but really don't know. owners manual fix says to take it into the dealer and that's that. But I hate having to take my machine in and the down time and everything else affiliated with the dealer. Does anyone have any help or feedback on this?

Replies47
  1. #1Hysert2017-02-13 14:27

    Member MDP says he has a solution... he mentioned something on the skidsteer forum here titled kubota ssv egr dpf delete

  2. #2chevy942017-02-13 15:15

    Unfortunately, with the nature of these newer machines in any brand, more than likely you are going to have to take it to the dealer to get those codes fixed/cleared. Good news for you the machine should still be under warranty so any issues should be taken care of by the dealer. If you need a machine maybe ask the dealer about a loaner while yours is down or see if they have a field truck with a laptop and the ability to diagnose/repair/clear codes on the job site.

  3. #3Rhino1012017-02-15 10:03

    If anyone knows the exact problem please let me know

  4. #4Tags2017-02-16 09:44

    As much as you don't like your dealer , you really should go back to them and get it fixed. There is sooooo much electrical and CPU junk on this new stuff you'd be hard pressed to figure it out without the correct software to diagnose the problem. On a separate note, if you weren't comfortable with your dealers service department, why would you buy from them in the first place? Not trying to rub salt in a wound, just wondering if it was your only option?

  5. #5Rhino1012017-02-16 23:33

    To answer your question, the incompetence and terrible service wasn't determined until after my purchases were made and several trips in for service and warranty work were made.

  6. #6Tags2017-02-17 08:14

    Well that just sucks.... I'm sorry to hear that, hope you get it worked out..unfortunately you're probably stuck going back to em to get it fixed. You could also try to get in touch with the regional Kubota rep in your area and see if he can help at all. What have they not care of for you up to this point?

  7. #7KSSS2017-02-17 17:42

    If the machine is still under warranty then you certainly have to take it to a Kubota dealer. However if it is not, that motor is in Takeuchi machines and CAT machines as well. One of those dealers might be able to help.

  8. #8Hysert2017-03-05 13:46

    Any update on these issues you were having?

  9. #9stars&bars442017-04-03 20:40

    Warranty. Take it in and demand a loaner machine. I have one and had no issues other than def freezing, code went away after 15 min. I don't know about resetting the computer to clear codes. Will battery disconnect do that?

  10. #10dirtguy952017-04-12 10:53

    There is a dealer update for these machines, there is a problem with software and it kills the nox sensors at 300-500 hours. They are about $1700 a piece. That is what I have been told.

  11. #11Anthony Collins2018-04-24 15:08

    I have a 95-2 and it has been in and out of two different dealerships with def issues , it was purchased on 12-13-2017 and shut down on 12-28-2017 after 5 months of down time i recently found a dealership that was able to make it run. i have been able to successfully operate it for an entire week. kubota tech support does NOT have the ability to diagnose the problems nor do they offer the proper support to the dealerships. i have been in contact with kubota customer support satisfaction which is a dead end! also the bottom line is the repairs for the svl 95-2 are so expensive that it makes the machine unprofitable i just had repairs in the amount of 10-12k done to the machine to make it run with 618hrs on it, the warranty did pay for it this time but no guarantees for the next 618 hrs. I have been told by 4 different dealerships that the parts cost alone for the entire def system are $33,0000 ,this is an automotive application that does not work on construction or farm equipment.

  12. #12heymccall2018-04-24 18:21

    Wow. $33,000? Boy, I'd run from whomever told you that.

  13. #13KSSS2018-04-24 20:32

    It is probably true. If you were to price out the machine from the parts department, piece by piece it would be 5 times more than the purchase price.

  14. #14Anthony Collins2018-04-27 10:10

    I was contacted by kubota customer satisfaction on 4-26 with very a condescending tone that i had been contacted by managers and my concerns have all been addressed. when in fact that phone call was the only contact i have received that was not initiated by me and have not heard one thing from kubota I was able to reach a regional service manager who was completely blindsided by my situation and is supposed to be the GUY when it cant be resolved just one more disappointment from kubota.

  15. #15Chadock2018-08-31 05:42

    Hi Rhino 101, We have exactly the same issue!!! We are in a remote part of Australia and have spoken to Kubota on many occasions without resolution even though machine is still under warranty. Were you able rectify the issue? If so would be grateful to know as Kubota here at this have no idea... many thanks. Rick

  16. #16Chadock2018-08-31 05:46

    Hi, were you able to rectify the issues we have the svl 95 and the def system is a constant headache any information would be grateful....

  17. #17ianjoub2018-08-31 09:06

    I believe all sensors work on resistance. Find the correct resistance value (the one the computer is looking for), cut the wires going to the sensor and solder in a resistor from radio shack (if they still exist).

  18. #18Anthony Collins2018-08-31 09:09

    In my particular case the knock sensors were out of their operating range which led to to those exact codes this was discovered by a very diligent mechanic that did nothing but work on my machine for 3 weeks straight on site kubota tech support led him astray stating def injectors,software,def pumps etc. huge waste of time ,effort and money. the one thing that came out of that ordeal that was good . I was informed I have 3000hr warranty on all emisions components.

  19. #19Anthony Collins2018-08-31 09:16

    Since my machine went down due to the knock sensors Kubota came out with a recall regarding the air intake if you havent been notified please follow up because it is an issue that will result in failed turbos,injectors basically motor problems. I had the recall work done only after the damage was done.

  20. #20Chadock2018-08-31 18:41

    Hi Anthony, That’s some good information there, was your machine a Svl952s? and would you remember what error codes would activate .......Thankyou

  21. #21Anthony Collins2018-08-31 21:06

    Mine is a 95-2 and it was degraded def code(s) mine were 9518,9601 and two others i cant remember but i drained the def tank several times i was accused of putting diesel in the def tank to the point of screaming and cussing the warranty people. One of the lead mechanics told me i was buying bad def (i didn't know that was possible) and that I needed a def refractometer. I bought one, totally useless for me . I got with the local COOP involved they did research, the state agency were I live (Tennessee USA) got involved. Out of 468 or so gallons of def sold I was the only one with issues. At the very end of it all I don't know if the kubota mechanics (from a completely different dealership) took pity or if they thought it was a challenge. Keep in mind I hadn't purchased anything from theses people. They came out with a brand new Peterbuilt service truck and it stayed on my job for three(3)weeks mostly because of misinformation they were given !The young man worked the problem and finally came up with the pre and post knock sensors were not reading correctly which in turn threw off the def injection and created the other issues. I hope this is helpful

  22. #22mowingman2018-09-01 01:46

    About a month ago, we had a fairly new Svl952s with only 300 hrs on it. After one day of work, it started showing code 9510. That code indicates a DEF problem, DEF injector if I remember correctly. I ran it until it went into limp/safe mode, then had to give up and park it. The dealer said it could not be fixed in the field and they had to haul it back to the dealership. so much for getting any mulching done that week.

  23. #23Chadock2018-09-01 02:06

    Hi mowing man, was the problem resolved?.....If so would love to know what they did to rectify the issue .....cheers

  24. #24mowingman2018-09-01 02:11

    Sorry, I have no idea. The dealer hauled it back to their shop and we did the best we could without a skid steer/mulcher. I have not had any need to stop by the dealership to see what they did.

  25. #25Chadock2018-09-01 02:19

    Anthony, thanks for the info you have just explained exactly our issues. From “you got contaminated def” to “you put diesel in the Adblue tank” so your warranty is void, just not a chance to either of those. Your experience with the machine is invaluable and your willingness to share is well appreciated many many thanks....ours is a 95-2 as well how is the machine now aside from the these issues are you happy with the performance

  26. #26mowingman2018-09-01 11:50

    We had 3 of the fairly new Kubota CTL's in 3 weeks. All low hour and all rentals with FAE mulcher. None of the 3 performed well and we got maybe 20 hours out of our 3 weeks of onsite time. All had either door seal, (dust) problems, A/C problems, or DEF problems, (this last one). I was disappointed to say the least. Start at the beginning of this topic and you can see what trouble we were having.

  27. #27Anthony Collins2018-09-01 12:51

    When the machine works properly it is an absolute beast it will out perform any of the other comparable machines I have had Cat ,John Deere, Gehl, and Case and as a whole my maintenance budget have been cut by more 70% and my overall down time compared to the others can be measured in minutes compared to hours. I based this on the other kubotas (svl 75,75-2,kx161,kx057) I own or owned. However this 95-2 is a different story I purchased it on 12-13-17 it went down on 12-28-17 and stayed in some form of down status until 4-25-18 and then promptly broke down again (def unrelated) in may.SO nine (9)months of ownership five(5) months of down time. In my opinion it's not financially viable. Throw in the FACT that kubota inc. support to customers and to the dealerships is absent at best.,makes the 95-2 a mistake. THE JUICE IS NOT WORTH THE SQUEEZE I hope this was helpful. Oh one more thing if you do not have the upgraded air intake put in place a schedule of cleaning /checking air filter daily even twice a day regardless of the environment you're in.

  28. #28Chadock2018-09-02 00:59

    Thanks Anthony, we will look at the nox sensors just to see if they are fouled I’m waiting for a response, Not sure if the sensors are plug go or a calibration with a diagmaster. Thanks for all your help you actually have more insight with the machine than Kubota......cheers

  29. #29goldiehana2018-10-07 16:49

    Can you please tell me what the fix is for this as I have exactly the same error code issues & my kubota dealer is still trying to problem solve for the last 4 weeks. Help

  30. #30Anthony Collins2018-10-07 17:04

    I am 98% that it is NOT your def . As bad as dealers are to deal with you have a 5 year 3000hr emessions warranty that includes def injectors mufflers knock sensors etc. the cost of the replacement parts are insainly expensive in my area knock sensors $1300 each.I dealt with the dealer not knowing and not getting the answers for 4 months until i found a dealer with some common sense and they were able to work the problem You can eliminate the def question by buying a def refractometer$80-$125 some dealers wont know what that is. but in my experience with my machine the problem that you are having is between the knock sensors and def injector. hope i help you

  31. #31heymccall2018-10-07 19:42

    In English, either the dosing injector that sprays DEF into the exhaust, or one of the Oxide of Nitrogen (Nox) sensors is compromised. The dosing injector can clog with crystallized exhaust fluid, but, fortunately, it is easily dissolvable in water, or, as I prefer, glass cleaner with ammonia.

  32. #32Nate The Great2018-11-29 23:46

    Hopefully my story/situation will help others... Last Wednesday (day before Thanksgiving) returned from lunch, started up the machine and had service code 9516 on the message center/dashboard. Looked up the code and it stated “Coolant Valve for Def Tank”. I called the dealership and they said all the mechanics had left at lunch for the holiday and she couldn’t answer any of my questions. So, I parked the machine and went home as well. Returned to the job Monday morning, (Hopeing maybe, just maybe it fixed itself over the weekend ) code was still on. I called the dealership and talked to the Owner, gave him the code and he said immediately.... “I know what the problem is, it can’t be fixed in the field, run it until it goes in limp mode, in the meantime, I’ll get a loaner ready and loaded up. As soon as I can, I’ll send one of my guys to go swap it out with yours.” (I asked no questions at the time, just said Ok, Thanks). About 30 mins later, it went into Limp Mode, I drove it back to our staging area.(Very slowly) When I got there I turned the key off, removed the key from the ignition and the machine stayed running!! I thought... what the heck?? So, I put key back in, turned the key as if I was starting it, and nothing. Turned key off, removed it again... Still Nothing (it’s still running, heater on, radio on, etc..)!! So, I called the Owner of the dealership again. Gave him the update, he told me to open the engine door, on left side of engine compartment, up towards the top, unplug that main wiring harness. So, I did...still nothing. Then he had me turn the fuel shut off switch off, and just run it out of diesel. So, I did. Engine finally shut off!! About 1/2 an hour later they showed up with a loaner machine to use, and picked mine up. Before they left he (The Mechanic) showed me the connection to the wiring harness that I unplugged. IT WAS ALMOST SOLID BLUE from corrosion and had actually eaten a hole in the plug!! He said what the cause was... that def fluid is leaking out of the def injector itself and the def fluid runs down the wire, into the plug and ultimately corrodes, shorts out, etc... They left with the machine. I stopped by the dealership the next morning to check in, ask questions, get prognosis, etc.. Long story short, they have to replace the entire wiring harness for the skid loader. (Luckily it is covered under warranty) I asked if they have had many of these problems. They said not really, not until recently! They said they had done maybe 4 or 5 in the last year or so. But recently we’ve had a bunch. I said how many is a bunch?? They said...look around the shop, almost every one of these machines have the same problem. I counted 6 or 7 machines! So, I asked why so many all the sudden? They could not answer that. They said Kubota headquarters obviously knows about the issue and are working feverishly to come up with a fix. After thinking about it, seeing the problem, and talking with the mechanics, and Owner. As for why so many, so recently.....I think it has to be Weather Related and the last cold snap we had triggered it. I think the seal/o-ring on the def injector gets hot, cold, and hot, cold, and hot, cold, so much. That then a true cold (freezing temps for several days in a row) hit and they aren’t sealing anymore. Then the fluid leak, runs down the wire harness, corrodes the terminals, and bam, your are in Limp Mode!! The Owner called me this afternoon and told me they should be done replacing the entire wiring harness (and doing the air filter campaign) tomorrow afternoon and will be ready to return to me by Monday morning. He told me that he would let me know what the long term fix is, and what they are going to do with the replacement wiring harness that may start corroding immediately. Hopefully they figure out something soon!! I do want to take the time and opportunity to brag, and say that my Kubota Dealership is the best!!! They have handled my issue perfectly, professionally, quickly, informative as they can be, honest as they can be, etc. I honestly can’t think of anything they could have done to make this bad situation, any better!! Sorry, for the long post/book I’ve written above. I wanted to be as specific as I could be, in hopes of helping others! Let me know if you have any questions... Nathan

  33. #33pmg2018-12-10 15:21

    Nathan, Same problem with our 2018 SVL95-2s (Atlanta based) Not so lucky on having a competent dealer! Pissed off at Kubota corporate. I called and was told there was a service bulletin on this issue - They don't proactively push the bulletins the dealers need to stay current... which ours does not. We further told that there is now a serious back order log on the wire harnesses. You were correct, the hard freeze caused the failure. Dealers in the Atlanta area have 100's of these units sitting in there yards waiting on the harnesses. Kubota corporate confirmed the manufacturer back log on replacement harnesses.

  34. #34Hysert2018-12-10 15:43

    Under my impression?? The DEF is freezing and popping plastic to cause a leak, which in turn is corroding the wiring correct?

  35. #35Nate The Great2018-12-11 09:51

    Hysert, I did not personally see any cracks in any of the plastics. That does not mean they weren’t there. I’ve missed things before, that is for sure! What you are stating makes perfect sense.

  36. #36Nate The Great2018-12-11 10:14

    PMG, That sucks!! I’m sorry your dealership isn’t treating you better than they are. I agree with you 100% about Kubota HQ./Corporate doesn’t do a very good job at all, about notifying their Customers about updates, bug fixes, campaigns, service bulletin, or whatever you want to call it. As far as back order of wiring harnesses... that doesn’t surprise me one bit. I know when mine was in the shop, they had the same issue. There were several in the shop waiting on harnesses, so they could put them back together. (I want to say there were 6 or 7 machines waiting on the harness). I don’t even want to think about how many units are affected and how much money this issue is costing Kubota!! If my little Dealership, in a town of 30,000 people, just outside of Tulsa, Ok. Has 6 or 7 waiting on parts. How many units are sitting, in a big city/market?? Good luck, and keep us posted! Nathan

  37. #37Hysert2018-12-11 10:23

    Interesting no doubt!!! And with the internal thawing devise in the DEF tank doing F all bc the freezing has already occurred makes perfect sense! I'm thinking of wrapping my DEF tank in dynamat?? Probably the only available product to keep some of the chill off??? Thoughts??

  38. #38pmg2018-12-11 18:59

    I think I am going with the electrical heat wrap approach -plug it in on cold nights. I am only a few weeks ago from finishing my heated garage where I plan to store it on cold evenings. I suspect that they are going to rework the o-ring assembly - The real blame is with the Obama administration and the EPA thugs that pushed this whole DEF **** down our throats! I wish I still had my old SVL 75!

  39. #39pmg2018-12-11 19:01

    Nathan, Latest posting in Atlanta ownership community has the total of SVL 95 -2s in the shops around the greater Atlanta area at 387 units. Kubota is going to have a mutiny on their hands soon! Cat is also having the same problems...

  40. #40heymccall2018-12-11 19:11

    What is the "air filter campaign" ?

  41. #41pmg2018-12-11 19:36

    The air filter campaign is a recall on the outer filter assembly - Your dealer needs to replace parts related to the filter vessel.

  42. #42Hysert2018-12-11 20:19

    I will be calling my dealer tmr about this aswell

  43. #43jcmaddox32019-03-14 09:47

    PGM, We're in Madison, Ga. Had 11 trips for warranty work with our first 95. We traded the machine for a new one that now has 500hrs and the same damn issues. Do you have any contacts that might help resolve our problems? Kubota customer service is a joke, and the dealership is wasting our time. Thanks in advance

  44. #44Nate The Great2019-03-14 10:48

    JcMaddox, I don’t have any contact info to any “Big Wigs” or anything like that at Kubota. But, if you want to tell me what your machine is doing wrong (detailed as you can get) I can talk to my Kubota Mechanic (who is REAL good at his job, and friendly as can be too) I can ask him for some input for you. Let me know if you want me to do that! Nathan

  45. #45KSSS2019-03-14 20:02

    While I think everyone can relate to the issues with the DEF requirement, and I am no fan of the Obama administration, but the blame for this needs to be laid at the feet of the OEM. Kubota has been behind the curve on the DEF issues since inception. Every OEM that uses the Kubota engine is seeing similar problems related to DEF. What makes the issues worse is that Kubota's dealership network is poor at best, fine if you want to buy a machine, but not so great at service, which the DEF drinking CTLs need a lot of. The mini excavators and tractors were pretty trouble free, so the incompetent dealer was not as obvious. Now that they are having real problems, the inept dealership and poor response from Kubota corporate is on full display.

  46. #46Nate The Great2019-03-14 22:11

    KSSS... I understand you have had problems with your dealership. But, luckily for me... I have nothing but good things to say about my dealership “Kubota Construction Equipment of Tulsa” my dealership has handled all of my issues quickly, professionally, and have almost always had a loaner machine for me while mine was in the shop!! So, like any business.... there are good ones and there are bad ones! I guess my point is, not all Kubota Dealerships are Crap! Good luck! Nathan

  47. #47KSSS2019-03-15 00:27

    I agree that not all dealerships of any color are all bad or all good. Even Cat which is frequently cited as the "gold standard" in service has their issues. Some dealers are much better than others. The most common complaint is unless you have 25 pieces of CAT equipment you don't get that "gold standard" treatment. Personally I like my CAT dealer, even though I don't spend a lot of money with them. They are always helpful and I consider several of them friends. Kubota however is much different. I believe it stems from them signing up dealerships that are quick to sell but don't spend the money to train techs and become familiar with the equipment that they sell. The other issue is Kubota Corp. doesn't appear to be much help to the dealers. This of course is subjective and simply how it appears (and not true in all cases like apparently in Tulsa). however that assumption is based on reading about stories from guys all over the country having issues with these DEF machines. The themes are always the same, techs that cant diagnose problems and slow to no response from Corporate. The Dash 2 machines have been problematic since inception, CAT and Taki have not been immune either as they also run the same engine. We can lay the blame for the EPA on these Tier 4 restrictions, but at the end of the day if an OEM is going to sell equipment that meets Tier 4 final standards, than the stuff should damn well work. After all, guys are paying for it to work and Kubota is cashing the checks.