Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota SVL65-2 on order, question about track size

Bodaway · 2022-07-15 16:25

Hello, new to the forum, great information. I have a SVL65-2 on order, I spec'd it with wide tracks 15" versus their narrow tracks 12". Like most things there is a long wait and this is no different. I use the machine on the farm for many things, including tree work in the yard around the house, in the timber moving brush and downed trees, snow removal and light dirt work. I am by no means an expert operator. I currently have a small Gehl skid steer that I'm replacing. I spec'd the 15" tracks to have less compression on the yard and in the fields. Based on what I read the 12" tracks have 4.4 lbs of down force and the 15" tracks have 4" of down force My question is, If the dealer comes up with a machine that has the 12" tracks before he comes up with a machine with 15" tracks, will I notice a huge difference in soil compaction? Does the .4 lbs make that huge a difference in say the yard? thanks in advance

Replies12
  1. #1KSSS2022-07-15 22:10

    The biggest difference I have found is that the machine with the wider track hooks up better when pushing hard. I have never run that Kubota machine but the CASE TR270 and the TR310 are similar but the 270 runs the narrow track and the 310 runs the wide track and its a tad heavier. I would try and stick with the wider track. Less ground impact/more floatation and I think you will find that it will push better, especially in softer conditions.

  2. #2Bodaway2022-07-16 06:17

    Great feedback, thank you for that. Less ground impact and more floatation is what I'm looking for. I need the floatation, the running joke on the farm is that there isn't a single piece of equipment on the farm that I haven't gotten stuck, maybe I can avoid that with the wider tracks!

  3. #3gwhammy2022-07-17 09:22

    Narrow tracks are best if you are working on pavement most of the time. Otherwise wide tracks are the way to go.

  4. #4Bodaway2022-07-17 09:23

    I'm rarely on pavement, so that's good to know.

  5. #5zeroo2022-07-17 20:04

    Yea I have a svl75 wide track. Its worth the wait in the long run.

  6. #6Bodaway2022-07-28 22:54

    thanks for the replys. I took delivery of the loader last night. The wide track came in. Now the fun begins.

  7. #7zeroo2022-07-29 06:39

    I’d put foam tape on the filter housing first thing. No idea why kubota list the part but doesn’t install it. Makes a huge difference in the amount of dust that gets sucked in from right above the track.

  8. #8Bodaway2022-07-29 11:03

    Thanks for that. I'm going to the dealer this afternoon and will pick one of these up. Hopefully it's not that much higher than Messicks.

  9. #9Bodaway2022-07-29 11:11

    I just called my local dealer and he said that the new machines should come with this piece on the filter. So I will check tonight when I get home. He told me they received a bulletin about it helping with dust intrusion. Thanks again

  10. #10zeroo2022-07-29 11:36

    Really? Lol. Last year or late 2020 at zimmer tractor with my svl for a leaky roller(warranty) I showed one of the manager types and he said he was going to pass it along cause they have trouble with the clogging of evaporator. Said kubota is really responsive with this type of thing. Curious if yours has it. It really helps a lot, probably one of the main dust/debris suck points. You have to imagine the ac intake is in arguably the dustiest place they could put it. If your mulching and making a huge sawdust cloud I would assume in no time your evaporator is clogged.

  11. #11Bodaway2022-07-31 17:54

    FYI, I forgot to check until today and it does have the foam filter in it. So, I guess they are trying to address the issue.

  12. #12zeroo2022-07-31 18:33

    That’s good, it makes a huge difference.