Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota SVL95-2 and FAE UMLSSl 150 Mulcher

verretro ยท 2016-10-22 19:14

Hello All, My name is Rob. I just bought a new Kubota SVL95-2, with high flow. I want to get into mulching, land clean up, etc. I am really interested in the FAE UML/SSL 150 head. The FAE mulcher I am looking at is a used head. Does anyone have any experience with this combination that can give me some advice? Anyone can give me advice on a used FAE head, mainly what to watch out for? Thanks in advance.

Replies8
  1. #1Tones2016-10-22 21:09

    Welcome to HEF Rob. Depending on the used hours of any head cracking of welds in the rotor box is one thing to keep an eye on. Hydraulic motor performance is the other bigie. If it has the Rexroth motor an easy check is to messure the case drain flow. To do this uncouple the hose and remove the coupler at the machine and put it in a container. With the mulcher engaged run the engine up to full RPMs for 1 min, then stop. Measure the oil in the container. Any more than 1 litre shows the hydraulic motor is worn or at least needs some attention. Bearings is another thing to keep a good eye on. If one rotor bearing is shot replace both ends.If you don't it will bite you in the bum real hard. And try to maintain good rotor balance. Good luck

  2. #2f311fr12016-10-23 19:49

    When you run it check for any vibration while spinning. You might have a slight vibration in a very narrow rpm band as it spins up. It should not vibrate at full rpm. I have a FAE head that I run on CAt 299D2XHP and it really woke up compared to the ASV RC100 that I used to run it on. The extra flow and pressure really woke it up. With that being said I would take a look at a AFE mulcher.

  3. #3verretro2016-10-23 20:59

    Thanks. Really good info

  4. #4verretro2016-10-23 21:07

    Thanks f311fr1. I was looking at an AFE SS Extreme I spoke with Jon. He said his most popular model was the AFE SS ECO. A friend of mine has a Bobcat T-870 with an AFE mulcher and he really likes it. Dont know if he has the Extreme of ECO. So if you were to start over again, would you go with the FAE or AFE?

  5. #5f311fr12016-10-24 13:25

    AFE no doubt

  6. #6verretro2016-10-24 17:51

    As I said, I was considering the AFE. The FAE I was looking at, was a 2005 150 model, didnt have the variable torque motor. So I was a little leery. I just pulled the trigger on an AFE SS ECO, semi new. Reason I say it like that, it has 2 hours on it. Buying it directly from Jon at AFE. Should be shipping out in a day or so. Really looking forward to it. So now, I am going with basically a new unit, and will be good to go. Thanks

  7. #7f311fr12016-10-24 20:25

    When you get it it and use it let us know how it goes,

  8. #8Tones2016-10-25 07:21

    In 10years fulltime mulching I have never used a mulcher with a variable displacement motor and I reckon I can keep up with the best of them. It's more about knowing how to set them up and the people who sell them know diddly.