I have been looking strongly at the Kubota SVLs and have a few questions. First of all, according to my research they are pretty good machines--anyone feel strongly otherwise? Secondly, have there been a lot of improvements over the last 3 or 4 years? Are the 2010, 2011, and 2012 models pretty nice or have they improved the machine a lot? Lastly, I need some feedback on where to go with a SVL75 or consider the SVL90. Seems like the 75 is more popular. What tasks would I do with the 75 where I would be wishing I had a 90? Thanks!
I rented both size Kubota SVL's a lot until I bought my Case. It was too good of a deal that (in hindsight) I should have passed up. Besides my reliability problems...I miss the flip-up door more than I thought I would. Changes in the Kubota have been minor since they were introduced (and they're pretty darn reliable), so I'll stick to the differences between the two. The 90 is obviously stronger and pushes / lifts more than the 75. The main differences that may or may not make a difference to you are the lack of a high-flow option on the 75 and the lift height. The 75 comes up a bit short on comfortably loading high side dump trucks. It'll do it, but the 10" difference in pin height compared to the 90 is noticeable. I've heard guys complain on the lack of breakout power on the 90, but Kubota specs a Bradco bucket with a very long floor and I think that's the problem. The 75 is strong for it's size and the 90 is a brute. I don't think you would go wrong with either.
That is very helpful and reassuring. So, for a novice, someone please answer me this question: in general, what kind of work do people that buy 90-100hp machines do? What are they doing with them that people who have 40-60hp machines can't do? I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can/cannot do with each model so I can brainstorm future jobs. Since I am buying this for complete miscellaneous use, I don't want to come across projects in the future and wish I had a different model. Thanks!
Kubota machines in general are great machines and the SVL machines are no exception. The biggest difference between the SVL75 and 90 are the lifting capacities - SVL75 - 2300 lbs. & SVL90 - 3010 lbs The breakout forces will a factor as well. You need to ask yourself what you think you may be doing with it. For example if you are moving pallets of paver stone, the SVL75 may have a tough time. You also want to consider the Operating weight - SVL75 - 9300 lbs & SVL90 11300 lbs - This will make a difference in what trailer you may have or what trailer you want to get. I have not operated a SVL90, but I will share an experience I had while operating a SVL75. It was a very muddy project and we were backfilling the foundation to the building. In some areas of the site there was about a 8-12 inches of mud. We have a new Takeuchi TL230 series 2 on site with about 200 hrs and 2 speed. We rented 2 Kubota SVL75s for the day, one had 175 hrs and the other about 500 hrs. Both the Kubotas and the Takeuchi had 13 inch wide tracks. I wanted to try the new Kubota, so started out in the SVL75 with 175 hrs. I noticed right away that the drive motors were very weak. After I had a full bucket load of dirt, the SVL75 would not turn around in the mud! I was shocked, as our Takeuchi will run through mud no problem. Overall it was a very nice machine, but that is the only complaint I had. If you do choose the SVL75 I would recommend getting the wide track option. Hope this helps
I have had a 90 for the last year or so and have put a few hundred hours on it so far. I've been incredibly happy with it, I had a cat 287b previously, it was a good machine and still had the original tracks at 2200 hrs when I traded it. I feel that the ride on the 90 is comparable the 287, but the undercarriage is much more user friendly on the kubota than the cat was. The 90 is incredibly strong and has pushed, loaded, and picked up everything I have needed it to so far. The key to whatever machine you buy is how good the dealer is in supporting what you buy, my cat dealer was useless but the kubota dealer is great. Good luck in choosing, hope this helps.
The Svl75 has plenty of lift capacity and is very capable for moving 2500 to 3200 pound pallets of paving stones.
I have an SVL90-2, which replaced a Mustang MTL325/Takeuchi TL250. I do a myriad of work, from residential tree work to dirt work and clearing. I also hope to get into vegetation management (mowing/mulching) with the CTL in the future as well as other use for the high flow hydraulics. I've never wished I had a smaller CTL, only bigger. I used the Mustang MTL last year to cut and stockpile ~2.5k yards, fill 8k yards, spread 1.5k of the cut dirt, and load the other 1k out to be hauled off site. This year we've used the SVL to do a plethora of tree work (storm), and Monday we're spreading what remains from an 1k yard ditch digging job. I would like a bigger track loader, if someone makes one. 15klbs, 13' of lift height, and 140hp sounds nice.
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like a good machine! As for lifting capacities, would the SVL 75 really be all right lifting 3K pounds of pavers or retaining wall blocks? I will probably only do this once or twice, but I would like whatever I get to be able to move around some pallets. When they talk about lifting capacities, is that a very conservative estimate of what they can do? When you reach the limit, what happens? Does the machine fail to lift the object or will it lift it but just is unsafe to do so? Again, I hate to spend unnecessary money to get a larger machine just for something I'll only do a few times but the first project I will be doing with this machine is a retaining wall project. Thanks!
I have an SVL 75 with cab heat and air full stereo love it, . SVL75-2 Specification download(pdf/639KB) Model SVL75-2 Type of operator station Open CAB / Closed CAB Engine Model V3307-CR-TE4 Gross HP HP (kW)/rpm 74.3 (55.4)/2400 Displacement cu.in. (cc) 203.3 (3331) Cylinders 4 Bore × stroke in.(mm) 3.7 (94) × 4.72 (120) Aspiration Turbocharged Loader performance Rated operating capacity-35% tipping load lbf. (kg) 2300 (1043) Rated operating capacity-50% tipping load lbf. (kg) 3285 (1490) Tipping load lbs. (kg) 6570 (2980) Breakout force Bucket lbf. (kg) 6204 (2814) Lift arm lbf. (kg) 4766 (2162) Lifting capacity Lift arm path lbs. (kg) 4881 (2214) Vertical Undercarriage Track width Standard in.(mm) 12.6 (320) Wide in.(mm) 15.0 (380) Ground pressure with standard track psi 5.6 / 5.8 Ground pressure with wide track psi 4.7 / 4.9 Track rollers (per side) 4 Track ground contact length in.(mm) 56.5 (1436) Travel speed Low mph (km/h) 4.7 (7.5) High mph (km/h) 7.1 (11.5) Traction force lbf. (kg) 9678 (4390) Min. ground clearance in. (mm) 11.7(296) Hydraulic system Aux. hydraulic flow gpm (l/min.) 17.4 (66.0) Aux. hydraulic pressure psi (kgf/cm2) 3185 (224.0) Hydraulic system gal.(l) 15.9 (60) Service refill capacities Hydraulic tank gal.(l) 9.2 (35) Fuel tank gal.(l) 24.6 (93) Operating weight (include operator weight 175lbs.) lbs. (kg) 8984 (4075) / 9260 (4200)
The numbers posted are the RATED operating capacity. You also need to pay attention to how they are rated. Some manufacturers us 35% of tipping load, which is the standard that has been used for years with track loaders, while some use 50% or tipping load, which is the standard for wheel loaders. I do not understand why track loaders are rated differently than wheel loaders. What I do know is that the rated capacity is the load the machine can safely handle through the full range of motion, on a variety of ground conditions and reasonable slopes. With skill and good judgement, most machines are capable of far more, but you assume the risk of this, both in the increased possibility of an accident and in the reduced service life of the machine. I have used a friends SVL 75 and think it is a strong performer. The only thing I did not like is that it feels less stable on steep slopes than my 287 Cat. That is mostly a function of the much longer track on the ground on the Cat. Kubota, with the fold up door, is one of the few I would run with a closed cab. I have far too many times I need to get out with the arms not on the ground. I would not crawl under unsupported arms, but I refuse to be trapped inside when the arms are up.
I agree the lifting capacity numbers are very conservative. Just wanting to see what my svl90 would lift I stacked two 3400# pallets on top of each other and it lifted them both with ease, machine did not tip at all but I only moved them about 10' on a slight hill. I'm not exactly sure what the lifting capacity specs are but I think that is about double.
looks like you need to take a little trip to check this one out: http://nh.craigslist.org/hvo/4613063150.html
We have 6 of them that we rent out. All spread through 2010-2014 models. No significant changes that I can see in them besides tier 4 requirements. So far they have been great machines for us, so good that we are slowly changing our fleet to be exclusively SVL's. Our only complaint is the amount of dirt that gets into the engine compartment and beneath the cab, and the pain that it is to clean out those areas. Basically about a 1.5-2 hour job that has to be done fairly routinely to keep sand from building up.
Old thread but anyone run a SVL90 next to a 299C or D? Also how does a 90 compare to a Case 380?
I've run pretty much everything since I joined the military. One thing I will say about Kubota is that they do not have any bells or whistles. I've been spoiled by getting the chance to run all the manufacturers, so I know that they offer very little compared to CAT and Bobcat. It didn't defrost the windows very well in the cold last winter. All of the heat vents were on one side. They are also probably the loudest loader I've run. I would run it with the door open a lot of the time, weather permitting, because it was just as loud with it closed. I liked the controls, power was ok, but it dropped off quicker than some of the others. Price is usually less, but that's probably because of the lack of bells and whistles. Overall, I'd rate the SVL's as ok.
Thanks for the info MG. I'm trying to get a demo of the Kubota so I can compare it to the Case and Cat. That is if I can get a demo of the Case as well.
I've been looking at the SVL75 as well. One thing that bugs the heck out of me about my Bobcat T190 is the lack of a removable belly pan, and it's generally a pain to work on. Any input on those and other mechanical issues with the Kubota?