Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota Track Foot Controls

nobull1 ยท 2009-02-22 13:01

Has anyone came up with a fix for the poorly designed foot pedals for the track drives on a KX91-3. I suspect similar Kubota models might be the same. I find the setup next to useless and use the sticks 99% of the time.

Replies16
  1. #1strott2009-02-22 14:28

    My Kubota's are too small for pedals!! but on all other machines that I have driven which have pedals including a KX151-3 I have yet to find one which is easy to use with your feet and allow me to feel in control using my feet only. Maybe I needed more practice with them though!!

  2. #2landrvrnut222009-02-22 18:27

    They dont bother me, but I wear logger boots with a pretty good heel, and an aggressive tread. I am able to hook a lug of my boot on the top of the pedal, and the extra heel helps me push down. However, I agree they are way to small. They are bigger than the ones on Bobcat's though.

  3. #3nobull12009-02-22 20:52

    The size is a problem, but the design is the problem to me. They just are not comfortable to use. The top piece should be lower and the bottom higher IMO. I just thought someone might have a modification that would make them a little more easy to use.

  4. #4coopers2009-02-26 01:59

    Nobull, I am the same way. I find the pedals very uncomfortable. I'm also tall and I end up having to sit a goofy way to use the pedals to move while I'm using the hoe at the same time. I've gotten used to it now and I don't use the sticks as much but when I first started using Kubota I was using the sticks more.

  5. #5nobull12009-02-26 19:10

    I think they were made for someone 4' tall with a size 4 shoe. When I get a chance I am going to figure out a way to improve it. It is really inconvenient to have to use hand controls, especially turning on the spot.

  6. #6youngoperator2009-02-26 20:14

    ya i know how you guys feel i were logging boots all the time when operating and i had a hard time getting used the small pedals, but i guess u get better with practice

  7. #7Yukon Digger2009-03-02 16:17

    I find my toe ends up pressing against the glass sometimes on a long walk so they are a bit small its no big deal. KX121-3, size 9 L.L. Bean 'bean boots'. Not sure how you could fix the prob. Maybe bolt on larger pieces?

  8. #8Country2009-03-03 12:11

    That's one of the things I don't like about my Bobcat 331. The foot controls are too awkward, stiff and small to control the machine with confidence. Moving forward is better than reverse though. I have zero control in reverse. This forces me to use the handles and that's a bad habit to get into, but what are you going to do. My next machine will have pilot foot controls. That's what they all should come with anyway....

  9. #9nobull12009-11-23 20:26

    Well today we welded a couple of 1/2" rods to the sides of the pedals front and back. What a treat it is to use, it's not perfect but 100% better. Each side now extends another three inches. I now have lots of room for my size 11 work boots and don't have to bend my legs and feet in strange positions, and can still fold up the bottom pieces. I will post a couple of pic's when I get a chance. Currently we are installing a quick attach, new ears for my bucket and extending the thumb so as to meet the bucket with the QA attached.

  10. #10Digger Dan2009-11-23 23:32

    Can't wait for the day the put thumb wheels on top of the control levers to run the tracks, no more pedals

  11. #11strott2009-11-24 14:36

    Give them a chance!! - some manufacturers are only just fitting thumb wheels for the auxiliary circuits and boom offset.

  12. #12nobull12009-12-05 22:26

    Here are a couple of pic's of my foot control modifications. Not perfect but way better than before, with feet a lot more comfortable.

  13. #13strott2009-12-06 14:21

    Looks spot on to me - you don't want anything to big which would take up foot space when not in use or get caught on mud/debris on the cab floor.

  14. #14nobull12009-12-06 14:34

    Would have been nice to get the front pin a little lower but it would have interfered with the "go fast" pedal.

  15. #15strott2009-12-06 14:46

    Oh yeah - didn't notice the 2 speed tracking pedal!! I thought on the -3 models that the 2 speed pedal had been moved to a button on the dozer blade lever so that would've solved that for you but it appears as this is not the case!!!! But then again maybe as my KX41-3 is only small they did this to save room on the floor.

  16. #16strangehand2009-12-18 06:59

    sometimes, we use hand to turn the pedals! it is uncomfortable design for oprarator!@ our kubota excavators' models are kx161-3 and kx185-3