Considering buying either the Kubota SVL90 or the Takeuchi TL10, does anyone have any recommendations on either?
It's hard to go wrong either way. For me, it would be between the SVL90-2 (Currently have one) and the Tak TL12 (had a TL250 before)
I've never ran a TAK, but as far as the Kubota goes, a very steady machine. We demoed one last fall. Also a Case TV380, CAT 299D, and Bobcat T770. Kubota was great feel, we just wanted a little more comfort.
Me personally, I'd go with the Kubota, it has a higher operating load and just feels better to me. Honestly though i haven't operated a Takeuchi yet.
I would also go with the Kubota but they are both good machines. But the TL10 is not the same size as the SVL90, the equivalent would be the TL12.
Its the SVL90-2 that I am looking at, both the SVL90-2 and the TL10 are 92hp. The Kubota is about 800# heavier, I kind of agree I think the Kubota may be the way to go. The Kubota has more lifting capacity. Thanks to all for you inputs really appreciate it.
You can't necessarily use HP to compare two machines. The Case TV380 and the Cat 289D are the same class.........Case has 92 HP, Cat has 74. I would recommend running the TAK before making a decision. I have never heard anybody on here have one thing negative to say about a TAK. They weren't an option for me because the closest dealer was 350 miles away. I did find out later that a TAK and a Gehl are supposedly the same. Case and New Holland are too, until you get to the big boys.
Gehl/Mustang and Tak are no longer associated. Gehl/Mustang excavators are made by Yanmar now.
Gehl and Mustang excavators where never Takeuchi, would have been nice if they were though. Just look at the styling... they were and may still be wacker neuson. Gehl and Mustang did however have a marketing agreement with Tak over the compact track loaders, sadly that ended with the decision by gehl to make their own I'm told. But for 10 years or so the lines were merged. And takeuchi makes top notch equipment, their excavators and compact track loaders are the best in their class. I have not been in the new Kubota svl's but I know this they are going to have to be flawless in performance to touch a tak. They might edge out a tak in ride, but that's about the only spot I see them winning in. Tak even kills the Kubota on paper with more tractive force, bucket and loader breakout force.
I personally think that Kubota has built a faily reliable CTL with many of the features put in as an afterthought, but they already have more market share than Tak who actually keeps losing more every year.
I read what I wrote and it was confusing. Yes, Tak made their track loaders for several years. Gehl/Mustang outfitted the cabs (no roll up door). Starting in 2012-2013 Gehl/Mustang started making their own track loaders. My Tak experience was based in a Mustang MTL325, which was a Tak TL250. The excavators were Wackers, but now they're Yanmars.
TK losing marketshare is due to the way they manage their dealers. They are forcing their dealers to take their entire line. My CASE dealership wants their excavators, not overly excited by their CTLs but the real rubbing point is they want them to take their wheeled skid steers as well. The dealership is considering dropping TK all together. TK is willing to lose their only TK dealer in like 800 miles over their POS wheeled ASV skid steer. It is insane.
I don't disagree with you on the bad Terex SSLs that Takeuchi is branding (although it does make me question their wisdom in doing it). But you just can expect an OEM to allow their dealers to only select certain products out of the product line. All of those products add to the economy of scale that an OEM needs to make money, provide floor planning, retail financing, additional attachment sales, etc. I can think of many other manufacturers that have had soon poor models in their line ups that the dealers actively inventoried and sold even though they performed poorly or weren't reliable. Takeuchi was also losing market share prior to Terex coming out with that POS SSL and I think that the Kubota is similar to the Tak CTL regarding an average cab with a reputation for being built well. That is the main reason why I think they are losing more, probably directly to Kubota.
Except that Takeuchi is a short line OEM,. They built their name in offering excavators and CTL's only and built a solid reputation. If you have a dealer willing to take 2 lines of your offering, you really should just let them do it. Especially when your dealer network is as spotty as TK's. Having a dealer willing to take your strongest product lines is certainly better than no dealer selling your product. I disagree with why TK is losing marketshare. It has little to do with TK losing head to head battles against other OEMs especially Kubota. I believe that it comes down to their dwindling dealer network. Hard to sell machines if you don't have a dealer and out West there are hardly any dealers left. Perhaps it is a chicken and egg thing, and we may never know who is right.
It is hard to say for sure, and a limited distribution network certainly plays a role. It is a little of a buzzkill given the long solid history they have with their excavators and CTLs.
Ok I have tried out both the TAK and the Kubota, both are very quality machines. I would say the Kubota probably has a better comfort feel to it. From all my research thus far I have not heard anything bad about the TAK. Talked to a service tech for a rental company that has them in their fleet, he said he would buy a TAK. The local TAK dealer is a Bobcat dealer. As a service tech myself, I want something that I can repair myself, simply built not complicated. I feel like the TAK may be that machine. Also the TAK dealer is very willing to work with me, as the Kubota not so much. Honestly I am still not decided yet. One thing I need to understand is the difference between the two. The TAK TL10 is 92hp the KUbota SVL90-2 the same. Are they in the same class? Thanks for your help.
Both are good machines. If you are doing a lot of grading and digging then the tak would be better. If lifting and loading is big then I would want the Kubota. And No, the TL-10 is not the same size as the SVL90-2. Horsepower really means nothing comparison wise. It is done by weight and capacities. The SVL90-2 matches up to the TL12 Takeuchi. I don't believe Kubota makes a machine the same size as the TL10 (the SVL75 might?)
Check available parts close to you, price same for each machine and time availability,i thnik Tak machines will be dearer
I owned a SVL-90 (2011) machine and found the controls to have a dead spot when going in reverse. The machine would not move even under full throttle when trying to turn either right or left and reverse at the same time. It would either turn or reverse but not both together. I have been told Kubota has fixed this problem. I have sold my machine and would not buy another unless this issue has been corrected. I'm sorry to be so late with my feedback but I just came across this post.
Here is what I decided on, I bought a used TAK TL140 from a local Bobcat/TAK dealer, from everything I have heard the TAK's are very reliable machines. Decided I could not justify a new one, and did not need as big a unit as first thought. I like it so far, easy access with the cab lifted for maintenance, good visibility and roomy cab. This dealer seemed to be more interested in dealing with me than the Kubota dealer. Thanks for everyone's valuable input. Will let you know how it works out.
I'll look forward to your updates. When I replace my Case, Tak and Kubota will be the only ones I'm interested in since they are the only machines out there with flip-up doors. Frankly, swing out doors on skids/ctl's have got to be the stupidest design ever.