Was running my 232B Cat skid steer and it stopped moving. It was still running at that time but would not engage to go forward or backwards. I turned off the machine to check around it and when I went to start it again, it gets power and the glow process goes showing power to the gauges and dashboard lights, but when I turn the key to start, nothing happens.
Did you check fuses behind seat back?
I did and all seem to be good. I let it cool down just in case, made sure the radiator was full and tied again, still gets power, then turn the key and nothing happens. I then have to turn the key to the off position to try again to start as it blocks me from trying to go from the glow plug turn to the start turn of the key.
When you are sitting in the seat with seat bar down and key on what lights are on?
The parking light and the fluid light above it on the left and the battery one on the right. These are the normal compliments of lights on before I turn the key to start it up. It also has a new battery and was cranking up well yesterday.
I had a 246 doing the samething. I found the seat switch was bad. I suggest raising the cab and checking the seat switch. On the one i was working on i just unplugged it and put a temporary jumper wire in the machine side of the plug. Just for testing
That would make sense, thank you. Being new to this machine I do not have the owners manual, any advice on getting to the switch and where to purchase one?
Thank you again for the help and here is a quick update. The CAT dealer would like approximately 2,200 to replace the part, and that is as estimate before they get to the skid-steer. Spoke to a friend who had this problem and he installed a momentary switch that went from the battery to the started and was routed into the cab. This way he could bypass the safety switch and push the button to complete the circuit and start his equipment. Going to try this ans ee if that works. If it works or not I will post the results.
What are they saying the problem is?
The problem is solved. Thanks guys. I flipped the cab back and put a jumper wire across the seat switch and it started right up. Yipee!! Is it OK to leave it jumped permanently or will it cause computer problems?
It's a safety device designed to stop the engine if the operator leaves the seat for any reason. By all means bypass it for testing purposes or to move the machine to an area where it can be repaired properly but bypass it permanently at your peril. Surely if you accessed the switch to bypass it then replacing it can't be that hard..?
As it turned out, the switch was good. I had tried to slide the seat back farther and it disconnected two tabs that hold the seat in place at the front of the cushion. That was all it took to disable the switch.
$2200 saved in the blink of an eye .........
I'm really glad I didn't give up and call Cat.