I drove by a road project today and caught a glimpse of a Mini with a VA Boom. I didn't see model, or even brand, but found it odd that it had a VA boom. Anyone seen one? I thought it was a Kubota, because of the red color. I have never seen a mini with a VA boom.
I take it VA means variable adjustment or something similar?
Variable Angle, as often found on ducks but cropping up more on tracked excavators. Also called 2 piece boom by some. I've never seen or heard of one on a mini or midi but there is no reason why not except for cost. Somebody must have ordered it with something specific in mind I would have thought. Would love to see a picture.
They are more common on Grey Market machines. I see a lot Komatsu machines with the 2 piece boom. Most are the 8 ton machines. CASE/Link Belt machines used to have that as an option on the 9007B and 1600Q machines. I don't if it is still available. The extra weight of that boom makes it more difficult to mount a coupler and thumb on to and still have a decent load capacity without being unstable. Too much torquing in tough conditions is also hard on them. Also not a great boom set up for running a breaker. I have run them and for just digging they are nice, less repositioning and great view to the bucket.
I might be wrong but I think you might be confusing a VA boom and an offset boom? That said the same goes for the original post. Offset boom VA ( Variable Angle) Boom
You are correct
No, I am talking about a Variable Angle boom. It looked like a brand new machine. I didnt get to see the house, but I did catch that it had open ROPS. I will be up that way Monday, and I will try to get a picture, and some info if I can. It was being used to install new welded gas line. The boom was straight in the air, with the stick at 45 degrees out an down. It just seemed really odd to me, and I have never seen one on a machine that size. Smallest I have ever seen a VA boom on is a Cat 330
Yes please, I would love to see that. :cool2 Sounds to me like somebody knew exactly what they wanted, that sort of boom gives you a much better lifting range, especially close in and I can see the benefit on a welded pipeline job. :drinkup
Down Under you can order Kobelco with VA....around the 5 tonnes and 8 tonnes I think...lets see..that would be 11,000 lbs and 17,000 lbs. Well at least there is an 8 tonne machine that is around my way a lot.
Like this one. I belive that is 8 MT sixe but I have seen a 4.5 MT size also. I tried like hell to get info about getting one here to mount a rock drill but the dealer was no help.
Who made that thing?
that is a Hitachi
Wow! very :cool2, never seen one that small with a VA on it but you can see straight away why it works :notworthy. Hard to believe that a dealer cant be bothered :Banghead still when they have no dealership they will maybe know where they went wrong Just had another look, that baby is the dogs bits, city pads, zero swing, VA boom, rotating sorting grapple, decent make, all its short of is me to operate it
I think Wacker Neuson (as known in the uk) offer a similar model and their brand colours are red and grey in the UK.
I can only get info from the Hitachi Japan website I guess they do not export that model. I like it for a rock drill because it has alot more reach you can flatten out the boom, also more hieght. The only machine that I have seen in this weight class is a Galmac CMW-70 and they do not make that model any more But I know someone who has one with under 100 hrs that wants to sell.
I got one picture today, as you can seen it is a brand new Kubota KX080 with a VA boom. It's not listed as an option on Kubota's website, but there it is.
Beat me to it, I've seen pictures of a Kubota Kx 080 listed on Mascus in Germany with a two piece boom. They are also listed in the UK brochures I'm certain. It would probably be specified for an owner operator only, as I would assume it will add considerable cost. The Kx 080 is already an outstanding bit of kit and that two piece would be a great addition. The only other two piece booms on small excavators I know of are sometimes fitted to the small 'Rubber Ducks', Takeuchi Tb175w and Komatsu Pc75 etc. Whatever they are fitted to, I'm a big fan of them as they can really come in handy especially on a Rubber Duck. We are quite close to the JCB factory and the odd development machine escapes through the annual sale, there is a local contractor who has an early effort at a 'midi' excavator. The unusual feature is that it is fitted with a complete JCB 3cx Backhoe Back Actor as the boom and dipper. In addition to this the 'Extenderdig' telescopic dipper is also fitted. It really is quite a tool and the reach for it's size has to be seen to be believed. Probably the reason it never made production. Completely of topic I know but I assume 'Landrvrnut' comes from an affection for a certain vehicle from the UK. If so are you an owner? and what have you got?
I have a 1962 SIIA 88" RHD, I imported from Scotland. It is nowhere close to original, with a motor swap, Salsbury front and rear, 1-ton transfer box, defender seats, custom interior. Future plans are a Cummins 4BT swap. I just sold my all original '69 88, and my restoration project, a 70 88 both US trucks.
Do you know if the boom is made by Kubota or a manufacturer approved modification by another company specialising in boom and dipper conversions e.t.c? (as commonly used by the demolition industry to produce bespoke front ends on standard base machines)
They had one of those machines in there booth at the World of Concrete in Vegas last week. Very Cool.
:woohoo you got her, many thanks :thumbsup
I was told today that it is a kubota option on the 080 now.
Found some info on the Kubota UK site. http://www.kubota.co.uk/uploads/productpdfs/KX080-3 revised_including 2 piece version.pdf
Looks as if its been designed and integrated into the machine by Kubota so no doubt it will be cracking bit of kit like all their other machines!!
I agree, should be a cracking bit of kit, and pretty cool too!!:drinkup
http://www.kubota.com/f/AboutKubota/prl74.cfm More info for you!!!!