Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

KW final notice to dealers- no more w900L w900B, t800W or c500

crane operator ยท 2025-03-15 20:40

So if KW is going to quit building these models, what are they going to build the heavy haul equipment out of? Also , they state "emissions requirements" as a reason, what would emissions have to do with them stopping building these? I can see them not wanting to build endless different number of cabs, and only build the new models, but why say its because of emissions?

Replies25
  1. #1crane operator2025-03-15 20:53

    So if you look at the dealerships, they are saying w990 or t880 are the "heavy haul" options. But those only offer the 12.9 l paccar. So no big powerplants.

  2. #2cuttin edge2025-03-15 21:12

    That's just the tip of the iceberg. If the higher ups think all the major manufacturers can just stop importing materials from other countries, and do business as usual, and still produce affordable products. Re tooling, training new people, building new manufacturing facilities. Not going to happen overnight. The reason so many things are outsourced is because it's cheaper. I call BS on emissions since most of those agencies are being gutted. Bout time. It's gonna be rough for a while on everyone that's not rich.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2025-03-15 22:23

    Perhaps, but they surely already had this in the works for several years and did not foresee this eventuality. They probably have the factory floor space already allocated for something else, it's a big ship to turn around if they even think it might be worthwhile. May be a golden opportunity for Edison Motors to fill a void.

  4. #492U 34062025-03-15 22:33

    I was told that apparently there's some sort of points system and aerodynamics count now. Like aerodynamics mean anything when it comes to whatever the C500 will haul.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2025-03-15 23:11

    and haul it at 20-40 mph up and down mountains and stuff

  6. #61466IH2025-03-16 01:53

    You mean the fully dressed D10 on the lowboy reduces aerodynamics? I noticed it says the X15 doesn't meet emissions requirements so does that mean you can not longer get one in a truck?

  7. #7Truck Shop2025-03-16 01:55

    I held off commenting--but Construction/Vocational as far as a C500 goes is puny. The total percentages for each model produced Kenworth doesn't share that info. The W Series has been on the chopping block for a long time. The {B} cab has been in production 43 years, since 1982 the longest production run of a certain main component. Because of all the wonderful electronic crapola--everyone wants especially creature comfort goodies--the cab became toooo small to continue incorporating more computerized electronic gadgetry, simply running out of space {fact}. Not to mention the majority of owners & drivers want more cab room. Drivers are not getting smaller just bigger around. * And yes carbon credits--Freightliner will not build anymore Cascadia models without the side fairings covering fuel tanks. So my old company will {95% sure} buy the Western Star model instead to keep with the DD15 & DT12 AMT. * And Cummins has on a secret vine of info {issues} just what pinpointed area is not sure or commonly known. So Pac Car wants to trim down the low order trucks and push the value of their own line of power plants, they make more money that way. Years ago I'm pretty sure a D9/10 were moved with 425 hp 1693's and 500 Hp Macks. Same can be done in todays world-for the fact we are going back in time. * The 990 will be the main driver offered with lots of custom order options. I've seen several day cab 4 axle running around hauling rocks. The T880 is also going to be the main vocational option. The days of truck shopping {like early mornings at Geno's Doughnuts, shall I have glazed or a custard filled chocolate is nearing the end}. * When Volvo bought out Mack it cut models down to a basic three-with several options. * The thing I can hardly wait for is Peterbilt---dropping the big square/long hood and tiny cab---that day is coming, and not too far off from what I've heard. * The amount of percentage of Vocational To OTR sales---25 to 30 OTR's to 1 vocational.

  8. #8IceHole2025-03-16 02:08

    I run a T880. Not a fan. It's had electric issues since nearly new. Lately the dash gauges won't light up at random and the windows won't go up or down. Real fun driving at -45* with a window open from when it was parked inside. I can't think of much that's not at least 20 years old that I'd pick.

  9. #91466IH2025-03-16 02:13

    Better buy up all the T800's and W900's you can right now. As soon as this becomes more common knowledge I'm sure the prices of those trucks will skyrocket. Just like all of the pre2000 trucks did with the ELD mandates. I am kind of curious though why the C500 is getting the axe. I can't imagine they produce that many of them but I would guess a large majority of them are mostly off highway oilfield or log trucks anyway so they wouldn't have to meet the same emissions requirements. I have never in my life ever actually seen a C500. Do people actually use them on highway in other states and around here is just too restricted? I understand the fact that they wouldn't want to keep a plant open just for that truck but surely everything is already paid for and I am sure they could price them accordingly to accommodate those that truly need a truck like that.

  10. #10IceHole2025-03-16 02:17

    I can't drive 5 miles without seeing at least a few. A few I've been around are big. Tires that are should height, big planetary drives. One, a push truck, was crushing the tires pretty good. It had near 100k lbs of huge steel plates for weight on the back.

  11. #11pushbroom2025-03-16 02:18

    Peterbilt 389 was done last year. No more small cab for anything now. All cabs are 5xx series.

  12. #121466IH2025-03-16 02:23

    I see you are in AK though where everything is off highway and the ones you are seing are probably owned by or working for oil fields or loggers correct. There aren't guys up there running around pulling 53' dry vans delivering groceries are there?

  13. #13Truck Shop2025-03-16 02:44

    Panic now---a year from now no one will think about it. There's other trucks to buy. All have electrical issues--all seven of the last T990 W900L bought had problems. dashes going black, very common.

  14. #1492U 34062025-03-16 06:44

    They're everywhere around here but I'm right in the middle of oil country too. I just can't picture a T880 or W990 filling that void.

  15. #15Acoals2025-03-16 07:20

    They haven't already done that? The newest trucks I have seen have the big cab with a giant one piece windshield. It looks kind of dorky with the long square hood.

  16. #1692U 34062025-03-16 07:33

    Peterbilts all look the same anyways lol.

  17. #17cfherrman2025-03-16 08:30

    I highly doubt the electrical problems is fault of the cab, probably the fault of who made the electrical components, and likely the other paccars will have the problem. I'm sad to see the c500 go.

  18. #18Vetech632025-03-16 08:31

    Less trucks?!

  19. #19CM19952025-03-16 11:11

    Back in 2007 partner and I was looking for a single axle truck to put a hook lift on. Went to the KW dealership to demo a single axle. The cab was extremely small and cramped which surprised me. I'm not fat, just tall. Ended up buying a Hino instead from the same dealer. Turned out to be a great truck.

  20. #20Truck Shop2025-03-16 11:15

    I don't think I said electrical problems are the fault of the cab. Yes fewer models with fewer options too, the thing the truck manufacturers have become very good at is selling you folks on what they think you need. You only think you custom ordered a truck, you did-just like the guy before you ordered.

  21. #21Truck Shop2025-03-16 11:45

    There are several studies on the height of the population compared to 100 years ago. On average males have grown a extra inch since then. * But long before most any of you were around-The reason Kenworth designed the {B} cab to replace the 1964 to 1982 {A} cab is partly the same reason the T990/T880 were designed. For years drivers complained of the tiny A model cab, throttle pedal is almost straight up {I said almost}. A common trick was nail a short 2x4 to floor to raise the heel. The B cab added three inches overall at back of cab and two inches in width, and one inch in overall height--not much but allowed the seat back another 3 inches. The best thing external air cleaners are going away. A big reason the Ford Louisville Cab was a winner with vocational was mainly the room, vision and dash layout. * People hate change. And yes folks Pete is dropping the large car look, about time.

  22. #2292U 34062025-03-16 11:46

    I miss the days of when you could truely custom order a truck. Heavy trucks have quickly gone the way of the automotive industry. Just cookie cutter disposable trucks.

  23. #23Truck Shop2025-03-16 11:48

    It's bot Burger King---they fooled you into thinking you goy it your way.

  24. #2492U 34062025-03-16 11:49

    I'm building a W900A right now. I would 100% take that small A cab over the B. I'm also short ** as well so it fits. I drove a newer Volvo and Freightliner a few years ago. Don't like the big cab as much.

  25. #25Truck Shop2025-03-16 13:28

    Yes-in your case because of your personal frame size, the A cab works. But really a person that's 6'1" it's kind of cramped. I drove many years ago, yes it's a good looking truck but has it's down sides for taller drivers. * Small difference was a big difference when it came to the B model series Mack's. The standard B cab used for models like the B61 for instance had a flat floor pan. The higher numbered B73/B75 and up with the larger radiator--those cabs had a 2.5" dropped floor from seat boss forward so it really gave much more leg room for a person with taller stature although head room to roof was the same. But in all Kenworth is ready for a major change, basically what they are doing is following Freightliners lead. Kenworth only has 14 to 15% of the market and Pete about 15%. As the piece of pie sets today Freightliner has almost 39% of the market. Kenworth's piece of pie has shrunk very slowly and very little crust left to support the filling. So really it's simple--sell trucks with your power plants and keep the money closer to home base. * The PacCar MX 13 can be spec'd @ 510 horse & 1850 torque at 1000 rpms. That's a fairly stout engine. Old D9's were hauled with mothing more than a 350 Cummins rated at 1,100 lbs torque @ 2,100 rpm--and don't miss a shift.