Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

80s Miller tilt deck brakes

IceHole ยท 2025-03-16 02:16

Working on my trailer. It's missing a brake so need at least a set. I pulled the ither side off, looks to be 12.25"x 3.5" shoes. But a 6 hole flange. I'm thinking a 5 hole will work, but can't find any info on measurements. At ~$500 plus shipping for a set don't want to guess.

Replies1
  1. #1IceHole2025-06-29 13:57

    Ended up using Dexter clones off Amazon. About $600 for 4 vs $500 each for Dexter ones. Hopefully ok, but not like I'm using this trailer everyday. Might see a few hundred miles a year. They rated them at 6k I think, but I've never seen 6k axles with brakes that big. Maybe it's 6k each brake? It's VIN/ ID replated by Ritchie Bros as being 20k trailer. Had to make a 1/2" spacer plate to put the brake into the drum further otherwise all fit fine. Had it cut at Send Cut Send, was almost cheaper than what a section of rusty 1/2" plate was going for at the steel supplier. Plus my 55 amp plasma wouldn't do it with a decent finish, it struggles with over 1/4" even. And I'm not great at torch cutting. I went to dig it out and the acyelene was empty. Was a new tank like 6-7 years ago and I've not used it, so guess it had a slow leak. Anyhow, drilled new holes in the brake backing plate. Installed with 1/2" grade 8 and nyloks. Wired it up and Wham bam, working brakes. Ended up cleaning the drums with grinder and like scrotchbrite type wheel. No one around was able to turn them. Schucks said their machine hadn't worked in 6+ months and no one was trained on it anymore... yet they advertise right in the front windows on brake resurfacing! One place I called got super sketched out, acted like I was trying to do some mega illegal thing! I Looked all over for new drums as 1 is beyond limits and no luck, so worn drum was better than nothing. Being Dayton style it'd need to be converted. Doable, but new hubs, drums, wheels, tires (these are heavy spec tubed tires, like F weight rating).. may as well buy another trailer. Did fine the walking beans have a fair bit of play. Tried taking a side off to investigate if it's replaceable bushings, but the bolt will lilely need cut off. Even my 1" 5ft breaker bar wasn't doing anything. Tha would open a can of worms of sourcing those bolts so left it be. Not wearing out tires and tracks fine, so oh well.