Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

KW T370 Head lights came on by them selfs and wouldnt turn off ?

Old Doug ยท 2024-08-14 20:05

I think its a 1997 . I got to work and one of the drivers said his low beams were on and wouldnt turn off. No other lights were on . It has a left and right low beam fuse. I pulled the left and it went out but pulling the right didnt do anything. I pulled the relays that didnt do anything. I unplugged the switch they stayed on . I decided to drive it to the shop someone watching said they went off a couple times then stayed off on the way to the shop? I dont know if it had daytime running lights or not. I pulled it in the shop and charged the bats and turned the lights on and off several times and they stayed off.

Replies12
  1. #1Truck Shop2024-08-14 20:52

    Try the signal dimer.

  2. #2Cliffy2024-08-14 23:37

    Feed back through driving lights if it has any?

  3. #3Old Doug2024-08-15 07:24

    I unplugged it and they stayed on. I dont know if it had them The driver said it didnt . I wish i had the original owners manual.

  4. #4Cliffy2024-08-15 07:30

    If they are constant power earth switched circuit you may have a short to ground in wiring. If positive switched, (still had power after pulling fuses) my guess is a short in harness to a power source.

  5. #5Old Doug2024-08-15 07:35

    If it's back on i am going to give the wiring a going over. I was moving it into the shop to do that when they went off.

  6. #6Old Doug2024-08-19 09:40

    The driver went to use it today and the lights came back on while he was fueling up but when he moved it agin they went out. I will look it over agin when they don't need it.

  7. #7Old Doug2024-08-20 07:36

    I got a call from another driver about 5:30 that the truck was parked and lights were on . I bet the driver didnt check when he park it. I told them to pull the bat cable for the night.

  8. #8Old Doug2024-08-21 07:54

    I found out yesterday that if i opened the hood and shock it back and forth the lights would come on and off by themselves . This would make you think it was were the hood hinged or close by but i shock and pulled on the wiring till i found it must be close to the starter. I cut harness open moved stuff around and they stopped coming on . I ran out of time . They are going to use it today and i dont know when i can look at it agin. What was funny is one harness labeled Engine harness seemed to be something to do with it . the tubing around it was backed full of dirt i opened it up cleaned the dirt out and couldnt make the lights come on agin by them selfs. They work using the switch great.

  9. #9Old Doug2024-08-26 18:44

    I found the problem the wiring harness runs over the top of the starter, The harness covering wore through on the hot cable on top of the solenoid then it wore a spot through the yellow wire to the head lights.

  10. #10Camshawn2024-08-26 22:05

    Nice find Doug!

  11. #11Truck Shop2024-08-26 22:15

    What's good is he reasoned it had to be shorting to a constant power source, and like all it seems these day's, the manufactures run all the harnesses right next to the starter.

  12. #12Old Doug2024-08-27 07:10

    It seems there should be a better way or place to run the harnesses but maybe not.