I've been asked to work on the town's 1924 brockway torpedo to see if i can sort out an acceleration problem. The truck starts easily and idles good from cold star although it backfires when the accelerator is blipped like it's got too much advance. ive been told it stumbles like an ignition problem when shifted into second gear. the town doesnt have a maintenance manual and i cannot find anything on line. I dont know how to set the timing on the engine and the two levers on the steering wheel dont have any affect on the running of the motor. any help with sorting a repair manual or any discussion of the manual ignition advance retard lever appreciated. Thanks Zenith
Before I got carried away with timing and the like I’d pop the cap off the mag (I assume mag but could be dist) and take a gander at the rotor and contacts in cap. I’d also look at the points. Give them all a quick scuff or file and see if that doesn’t help. If it ran like it should before I’d assume sitting around has gotten to the ol girl. Could also be crap fuel or some garbage in the carb.
Oh yeah, pics of course!
Thanks, i did pull the cap and did a general cleanup of the contacts, confirmed contunuity etc. One thing that i cant sort out because i have no knowledge nor manuals is the advance retard mechanism on the steering column. the small gear at the bottom end of the steering column does not mesh with the larger gear. it appears these are meant to be in contact but i cannot figure out how and another thing is how they may affect advance retard since i cannot find any physical connection with the magneto. I'm going back to get some pics today and will post later.
How does the mechanical timing advance retard work. The levers on the steering column operate some type of rod(s) that terminates with toothed gears at the bottom of the steering column but there is no physical connection to the magneto. I cannot determine how the spark is advanced or retarded without some type of connection to the levers. Can someone "splain" whats going on here?
Those were designed to turn the whole dist/magneto, obviously parts are missing. In 1924 the primary engine was a 4 cylinder Wisconsin on E & S series Brockway's. Although Buda 4 cylinders were used before 24 & Continental 4 & 6 cylinders during the same period.
I'm sure its a wisconsin 4x5 but i'll need to check for any places on or near the magneto where parts may have been attached and are now missing.
Anything that old plus all the hands that have molested it--100 years old. The depression came along and folks just did what they had to do to keep stuff running. Not too many 1924 Brockways left.
that's what i'm figuring out, but for 100 years old, it still runs.