Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

KX–121–3 super series or 50D

Nick Powell · 2025-02-19 14:36

I’m looking for a mini excavator for use around my horse boarding facility and property improvements. The Kubota KX 121 and John Deere 50D are about the same price and similar hours. The Kubota has a cab, which I’m not sure I really want, but it also has a four-way blade where the John Deere just has a two way. The 50D is open canopy and is about the most my trailer will haul. Kubota is just over 9,000 pounds and the John Deere is just under 10,500. Thoughts from folks who have ran one or both. The Kubota is not a zero tail swing, and the John Deere I believe is. I’m not sure I need zero tail swing but I’m guessing being 1500 pounds heavier, the John Deere might have about the same lift at the same reach.

Replies8
  1. #1Simon C2025-02-19 17:49

    There is a lot of Deere 50 D machines out there, which means that the Deere Techs will have worked on many including similiar units in design. Need to take samples of hydraulic oil, planetaries, engine and see the results. A bad failure 50 hours after you own could easily be $30000.00 to repair. A friend just had one with 1 months warranty left on 8 ton machine that costed close to $100000.00. If oil samples are too much, suggest looking at a crystal ball. That how I see it. Either machine could be the right one. Simon C

  2. #2Columbo2025-02-19 20:13

    Have you sat in or operated both? My brother runs a 121-3, and I have spent a fair amount of time operating it. I find the 121-3 cab very cramped. I have not run a 50D. Anything beats a shovel, though. For reference I’m 6’ and 200lbs.

  3. #3BC Placer gold2025-02-19 20:19

    Both really solid choices as long as condition checks out.... Personally I really like zero tailswing in a mini, we often travel through thick forest and sure is handy to be able to swing the upper structure when you are jammed up tight to a big fir tree etc. However; the tailswing on the Kubota really is very minimal. (My opinion) but I find 4/6 way blades to be of minimal practical use. Not very effective and tend to project significantly further forward of undercarriage. We owned a Kubota KX-040 (successor of the 121) for several years, excellent overall machine (but I would prefer the simplicity of the Kubota V2203 in the 121) We currently own a 2011 Deere 50D (7540hours), excellent Yanmar pre-emission engine, 1' wider undercarriage (more stability) than Kubota 121, and overall a fair bit bigger/heavier machine than the Kubota.

  4. #4DM&RDBulldog2025-02-20 09:54

    How used are these machines already? I would really check to see how resourceful your local dealer is for both brands and if you dont do your own service how seasoned are their mechanics. Even if the machine you buy is low use and in good shape if you plan to keep it 10+ more years it could become unsupported and turn into a lawn ornament over a simple little part you just cant find anymore. I hung onto a 2003 Deere 50C for as long as I could before it needed a midlife refresh and I found my local dealer even being very helpful wasnt able to source enough of the parts for me. The internet was a disaster as most sellers had wrong parts listed and didnt really have a solid knowledge of the machines they sold parts for. I started looking locally for a complete machine in better shape and being almost 20 years old that didnt pan out, so I just cut it up for scrap. Kubota has been the opposite experience. I have been able to keep my early 90s KH191 going as my dealer can source every part from Kubota and most parts are already here in the states and available the next few days.

  5. #5Simon C2025-02-20 09:58

    Thanks for posting a true to life exoperience, seen a 2001 Skid Steer that is giong to be parted out. No longer serviced by dealership. Just saying! Simon C

  6. #6HarleyHappy2025-02-20 16:00

    I have a late 90’s Scat Trak that I am slowly breathing life into. Wife is going to clear snow with it. Not worth anything.

  7. #7Nick Powell2025-02-23 16:42

    I ended up going with the 50D. The Kubota was already sold and I think this will be a real workhorse for me around the property.

  8. #8Simon C2025-02-23 18:41

    There is a lot of technicians that know John Deere excavators out there and parts are available. You should be in decent hands if something needs to be fixed. Simon C