I know this is a can of worms but trying too fix a fuel leak on the pump itself. It’s on an old Samsung s210 escavator. How do I find top dead center before I take off? I thought it was leaking around the fuel pump cylanoid but I’m having second thoughts now and I’m gonna take off to rebuild. Thanks for any help.
I assume you are referring to a Cummins 6BT5.9? If so, I've found they are a bit finicky on timing. There is a plastic push-pin under the fuel pump to set TDC. BE CAREFUL. They shear off if you think about them shearing off.
Thanks for the heads up
100% what Shimmy said, you even look at that TDC retainer pin whilst touching the flywheel and she’ll snap. I remove the whole retaining plate, from memory they are those hex-head bolts which strip easy so hit with a hammer and punch first after dousing with WD40. Have a mate spin the flywheel and line up the small hole in the centre of the big hole that you’re looking through. Might need to use a mirror or take pics with your phone as you can’t get your head down there. Your fuel pump should be a Bosch P-Pump, can you send a pic to verify? and do you know what year model the machine is? If your lucky you still might be able to read the engine plate which is below the fuel pump on the side of the timing cover, there is a heap of info stamped on it.
No year is on the tag both in cab and on the frame
Can you send better pic of the whole pump, it’s easy to tell which one you have as they are very different in shape.
Thank you just took it of and it’s a Bosch
That’s a Bosch VE PUMP.. If ur taking off the pump, look under the pump towards the timing cover and you’ll see a push pin to lock it at TDC.. Look around the push pin and you’ll see a wire retaining ring.. Use a screwdriver to pop it out.. DONT LOSE IT.. u have to put it back in .. Now get a pair of pliers and pull the timing pin completely out.. Take off the oring and lube it up..& set it aside. U have to gain access to the front gear.. In front of the pump is a plastic cap, it unscrews, use an oil filter wrench.. U gonna need a puller to pop off the gear from the pump drive shaft.. Behind the pump, up by the firewall is a plug.. THATS an access hole to the flywheel.. Cummins and just about everyone sells an engine turning tool AND the puller to pop the gear off..usually about 20.-30.00 each..WELL WORTH THE MONEY.!!! The way I do it is, stick my pinky in the timing pin hole while I’m turning the engine with the engine turning tool UNTIL I feel the timing hole coming around AND STOP.. I go around and loosen the drive gear nut. Go back and use the timing pin, when it drops in the hole, stop and pull the pin out.. There is a drive shaft locking bolt on the side of the pump.. Loosen the bolt (10mm) and tie the spacer to the throttle.. Turn in the bolt until it locks the pump shaft. Get it tight but don’t wring it off.. Now use the puller to pop off the gear.. Now get the lines and linkages off and drain the pump.. Good luck
Now that you have it off, send it to thepumpguysc and get it back quickly operating as it should and looking like brand spanky new. At least that was my experience, I am sure you will be pleased also.
I sure hope he followed those directions.. He had it off before I finished writing..(hunt and peck) Those tools for barring the engine and popping off the gear are a mechanics DREAM.!! IDK WHY ALL engine manufacturers didn’t do THAT..