Hey guys, my international has been running hot in the hills, and when it sits idling. Today a buddy suggested maybe the fan clutch wasn't working and it dawned one that I haven't ever heard it kick on. It makes sense that it could be The issue. What do I need to look for when troubleshooting this? Are there any common problems with the L10 fan clutches? Thanks!
Pretty easy to troubleshoot,,,, there is a small air line running to the clutch fan... blow shop air in it to see if the fan clutch is function... engaging and releasing. If this is function properly than its probably the aquastat that is not working. Check to see if the air is getting to the aquastat. If there is delivery air coming to aquastat and none going out at full engine temp, replace aquastat... Grandpa.
Holly crap gramps, now your going to tell us what an aquastat is. Those went out in the 1940's, we now have fan temp senders and air sol. that runs the fan. Usually on the fire wall, with power to it should have air to fan. Could have a viscous fan clutch on it instead. Good Luck
L-10 From the eighties' Gramps got it right. Use the word fan-stat insted of aquastat. Trouble shoot and repair like gramp says. Unless it has viscous fan, is that the one that rattels and bangs clicks and over all makes noise like it going to come flying outa there? muzy
The L10 can be fitted with the oil clutch style fan drive, it is electricaly switched using a Lucifer coil to move the oil control valve, this would be the most common style fan drive used in the U.K. the fan clutch is built within the front gear cover.
Thanks guys! I probably should check the air solenoid for power first eh? Its a 1994 model.
Thanks muzy..... terms may change but it is what it is. GoingBroke must be a young kid...... bwah hahaha.
Could be the clutch on the fan that is worn out, did one the other day. The whole unit is damn heavy
Like everybody else has said, there are several types of fan clutches that could be on there, depending on what the original purchaser wanted. I have a 1985 IH with an L10-270, and I think it has the type of fan clutch that has no external connections, that just senses the temp of the air coming through the radiator, with a little bi-metal coil on the clutch itself. The test for these is just to turn it with the engine off, and make sure there is resistance. With any style, I would first grab it with everything off and see if there is any loose motion, and if you can turn the fan. If you can't turn the fan, disconnect whatever is hooked to it, and test drive the truck. If you can turn the fan, look it over carefully, most have a place to put in a bolt and lock it, so that you can limp home. If it does, lock it, and test drive the truck. I would carefully check belt tension, too. If the truck is running hot when moving more than about 20 mph, it's probably not the fan clutch, as you don't need a fan when there is ram air coming through the radiator. Of course, it could be one problem making it run hot sitting still, and another when it is moving. On edit: there are some styles of fan clutch that you cannot hear kick on. I have never heard the one on that IH, and I have a Mack that I know has the self-contained clutch, and it makes no noise.
Don't most fan clutches default to locked if the clutch goes? So that it runs all the time?
Clutch plates could be worn out and so it would be slipping all the time.
It only seems to heat up while idling or during a long pull with a load on. I appreciate all of the help guys, now I just need to get a minute to take a look at it!