Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for haul truck not sure how much hp needed

makin mulch ยท 2011-10-03 00:43

Gonna be pulling 35,000lb tractor. Have been told to look for older Mack as they seem to hold up on gravel roads. Not sure how much HP to look for.

Replies2
  1. #1Sparkie2011-10-03 00:48

    no lower than 350 I would say

  2. #2stumpjumper832011-10-03 07:13

    Is it true that the older macks measured their hp at the rear wheel? Theoritically that would make a 350 mack equal of someones elses 400.... For me and where I end up going I dunno if I could live with that long of a trailer comming off the bumper... I'd rather have a stepdeck, 15' shorter than a comparable bumper pull, and a whole lot more fun to back up with. Yeah, I'd have a standard day cab hooked to a stepdeck, I'd get a tandem rear tractor just so I could go bigger if I wanted, or wanted to haul something else for someone else...