Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

L10 Cummins oil filter stuck

orangepeanut ยท 2022-02-19 13:52

I purchased an old 85 international with the l10 Cummins and decided to go ahead and service it since one of the oil filters had a pin hole in it. Apparently someone has put them in with an impact or was just stronger than they thought. I managed to get one off but it took alot of force. Now the second one is stuck and I've tried everything. Filter wrenches, filter pliers, the strap wrenches and I've even resorted to my least favorite method of punching a screwdriver through it and trying to spin it off. Nothing seems to be doing it. Is there any other method or trick that anyone has done to get a stuck filter off? I've bent 2 wrenches trying to pry the screwdriver around with a wrench on the handle and a pipe over the wrench for a cheater bar I don't know what else to do.

Replies9
  1. #1HATCHEQUIP2022-02-19 14:12

    hammer an chisel or air hammer up against the base just dont damage the sealing surface

  2. #2Birken Vogt2022-02-19 14:56

    What happened when you tried the strap wrench? Did it break or something? Did you try a chain wrench? I second the idea of the air chisel, I would try that before moving on to anything else.

  3. #3RenoHuskerDu2022-02-19 21:30

    I have a drift that I ground off at an angle. That punch has removed many an object that wouldn't unscrew. I make sure it's sharp, then punch in with the sharp side so the force is to the left. This almost always works. Another tip is to weld on something to grab, but for an oil filter that won't work!

  4. #4Tenwheeler2022-02-19 21:42

    Sounds like you might not have much filter left? Try using 2 or 3 different filter wrenches at the same time. That is if there is anything left to put them on. Wrenches and a punch? Get some help as you do not have enough hands.

  5. #5crane operator2022-02-20 08:04

    Put a piece of something square, vertically up against the screwdriver you have punched through. Then put your strap wrench up against that square, so it can't slip around. Then use the strap wrench while you are tapping the filter up high where it meets the base. I also like the idea of the air hammer. I don't have any luck with the standard strap wrench. I use the kind with the fabric type strap that goes into the metal piece and you put a 1/2" drive socket in it. Like this. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-60200-Heavy-Filter-Wrench/dp/B007QVB71C?th=1

  6. #6Birken Vogt2022-02-20 09:34

    When he said strap wrench, the fabric strap is what I was thinking as well. I don't use the steel ones, too many different sizes. But the fabric one is going to get that filter or die trying.

  7. #7funwithfuel2022-02-20 09:46

    These used to be known as KD2670 and 2671. Now you can only seem to find Taiwanese knock offs. But this has always been my go to wrench. Sometimes I've had to use this and a regular strap wrench when some jag bag wrenched it on till she screamed. One wrench does Cummins and Mack, the other does Cat. The whole trick is to get as high up on the can as close to the base as possible. Once the can is squished, you're better off tearing the can off and thread the base holes with some screws, tight fitting then stick your prybar between 2 and start easing into it. I'd steer clear of the air hammer. It's too easy to come off target and destroy your filter housing. Besides the rubber gasket soaks up all the air hammers hit. Good luck

  8. #8crane operator2022-02-20 16:20

    Yeah, I wanted to show a picture of what I use, because we also have one like what's in the picture below, and it isn't any good at all. It has some kind of rubber in the strap and it just slides around.

  9. #9Former Wrench2022-02-21 15:45

    I have a fabric strap filter wrench that is a CAT special tool. I has never been beaten. It will crush a filter if need be to loosen. I've had to use my long handled Snap On breaker bar a couple of times, but I'm still batting .1000.