Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for an international HX dump

4seasons · 2022-02-20 19:51

Any input would be appreciated on these newer hx series. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the hx620 based on having the most local dealer but could be talked into the 520. I also have semi local dealers for all brands within 30-45 minutes, but much more convenient to international. My use is residential landscaping and excavation. I’ll only do 10,000 miles a year and plan to trade in before 10 years and 100k miles. Ordering is currently a year out, so I’m hoping to be able to find something that can reasonably be trucked in. I just sold my 08 Volvo Triaxle. I loved the setup but at the age and 250,000 miles it was way too much maintenance for me and the dealer is terrible.

Replies27
  1. #1Truck Shop2022-02-20 21:16

    Rush in PA has a 2021 listed with 59,000 miles.

  2. #2_Weldman_2022-02-20 21:39

    Swear everyone is buying dump trucks on here, who's next... https://www.truckpaper.com/listings...mp-trucks/manufacturer/international/model/hx

  3. #3Truck Shop2022-02-20 22:05

    Tomorrow wheel barrows will be the flavor.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2022-02-20 22:23

    The second one down wit the 605 is not far from me if some one needs eyes put on it.

  5. #5suladas2022-02-20 22:30

    Have to ask, a new or nearly new truck for 10k miles a year? Are you hauling equipment with it? I just can't see buying right now with high prices how it's going to make you any money running it that little, it's got to be cheaper to just hire trucks if you don't want to run something a few years old.

  6. #64seasons2022-02-20 23:14

    Trucks don’t make money in landscaping and excavation. It’s support equipment. Like having a shop with tools in it. You don’t directly bill for it, but it’s fairly necessary to have around. Availability may improve but inflation and current prices are pretty much here to stay. Hiring trucks doesn’t really work. As far as miles, I work a 20 mile radius around my place and I’m solo. On paper it makes the most sense to have a 15 year old truck at around $60k. But I tried that. Modern trucks-electrical and emissions it’s easier to just have the big payment. Pre electronic/emissions trucks are too old now.

  7. #74seasons2022-02-20 23:23

    I printed out the one in Nebraska as an example for the bank, because it actually lists a price. Way too far and the price seems like it is $25k high. Even for now. Am I way off? https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/211492825/2022-international-hx

  8. #8suladas2022-02-21 00:14

    Mine makes me good money, but it's an old pre-emission truck you speak of, doesn't give me much for issues at all. If you don't want problems then I would suggest not buying an international with a international motor, because that is the poster child for a problem truck, you think that volvo had problems, just wait you'll be missing it. If international managed to fix their electrical garbage, then they might be ok but only with a Cummins under the hood not their garbage maxxforce or whatever they changed the name to. That price seems absolutely stupid, personally I would only consider international if idential truck is at LEAST 10-15k cheaper then the others.

  9. #94seasons2022-02-21 10:28

    I’m just figuring out that FET, does not take the place of state sales tax. So total taxes on a new truck are well over $40k ? Is that right?

  10. #10NepeanGC2022-02-21 11:50

    Newer internationals are getting good reviews around here. Avoid the maxxforce powered ones, but something with a later model cummins shouldn't be too bad. I am similar to you 4seasons, my trucks are support equipment. I need them around, and hiring it out doesn't really work. Big payments doesn't mean no problems. It just means warrantee, which is all well and good if the dealer can get parts, and service staff available. I've paid out of pocket more than once for work that would have been warrantee to independent shops when the dealer didn't have availability quick enough. Downtime is a killer when our work season is so short. Newer trucks like getting hot and working hard. Idling and constant low load conditions seem to cause maintenance issues.

  11. #11RenoHuskerDu2022-02-21 14:54

    One of my local quarries delivers. They just bought 8 superdumps. Each hauls 24 tons. Each cost $350k. Only one end dump left.

  12. #12NepeanGC2022-02-21 15:26

    Different rules than here obviously, but 350k USD for a truck that only moved 24 tons? That seems insanely expensive. Ontario tri-axles carry 22-23 metric tonnes legally on 12 wheels. That's 24-26 tons in freedom units. By comparison our trucks are a bargain at $250k Canadian

  13. #134seasons2022-02-21 16:53

    Anyone know what kind of financing rates manufacturers are offering on new trucks?

  14. #14Truck Shop2022-02-21 18:16

    you will have to make a call for that.

  15. #15FWD2022-02-21 18:49

    The prices must really be going up. I bought a new 2021 Western Star 4700 tri axle, 46 Rears, 20 Lift axle and 20 front axle. Detroit 470 Hp and 8 LL transmission last April. It has Tuff Trac suspension and a Bibeau 16.5 ft box and tarp. Paid $172,500.00 then, I'll bet quite a bit more now, if you can find one. FWD

  16. #16CM19952022-02-21 19:05

    Just my honest opinion but I think heavy trucks are at the top of the balloon pricing stage, meaning when that balloon pops these insane values/prices we are seeing will tank. A year ago you could buy a new tri-axle for $180K plus FET and now the same truck a year later is priced at $225k and up, plus FET. I don't know about other areas but our tri-axle rates are still around $95 per hour. I have no idea how one can run a $200K+ truck for $95 per hour and make a profit much less cover cost. 4seasons I know you aren't running by the hour and have a different business model, just talking the general business of dump truck prices. Just my $.03 adjusted for massive inflation.

  17. #174seasons2022-02-21 20:24

    I’ve been convinced for years that full time dump truck guys are not making anything. Owner operators make a wage. Putting a guy in the truck has to be a break even. That’s without any poor luck.

  18. #18Truck Shop2022-02-21 20:54

    One big big problem if the balloon pops, a lot of equipment/trucks {because of manufactures not accepting orders for new trucks for 2022 and part of 2023} means there is going to be some real tired equipment hitting the market later. Also there will be a huge backup on orders for new trucks, which will cause long waiting periods for new truck arrivals. The big carriers will be first in line. Expect 14 months to receive which puts deliveries into 2025.

  19. #19mowingman2022-02-21 20:57

    That is the reason I got rid of my dump truck. I had an older tractor and dump trailer that I wanted to run 2 or 3 days/week, hauling brush and demolition concrete for my son-in-law and myself. After the first year, insurance went so high that I could not work it part time and make any money at all. That did not even include fuel, tires, and repairs. I quickly sold the rig and gave up on making any part time money in the dump truck business.

  20. #20suladas2022-02-21 22:00

    Yea I will never understand why anyone wants a bunch of dump trucks, $170-180k new before prices went stupid for light spec to make $85/hr. Right now fuel is going to cost $35/hr alone. Any half decent driver $25/hr. Not much left to pay for the truck or try to make money. Add in that if the truck is getting paid for 8 hours a day, you're paying the driver 9 maybe even 9.5 hours. Not the business I want to be in. Even if you need the truck for support equipment, if you spend $200k and finance it, you're competing against guys with paid for trucks worth $50k or less most likely, their overhead is a lot less. For me ALL my equipment is worth about $250k and paid for, no employees, my overhead is insurance and small shop/yard space I can undercut anyone if I wanted to. I don't use it for that, mostly I use it to pass on jobs that don't pay well, even if not much work around I pick and choose what jobs I take because it doesn't need to work much to pay the bills, i'd rather sit at home for a week then take a job that doesn't pay much. If you have a $200k truck to pay for, you likely don't have that option, you have to keep it busy.

  21. #214seasons2022-02-21 22:49

    Our approaches are both very similar. If you need a truck right now, there is no good solution. Those 50k trucks can only be viable for so long. I literally know of one pre emissions truck under 500k miles. It has 200k and is priced at $99k. It’s actually a tandem. An F-550 is 80k plus now.

  22. #22suladas2022-02-21 23:51

    That's an insane price. What do you need dump truck for? Hauling equipment and the odd use as a dump truck? Or is it because you don't do many loads in a day and truck sitting a lot so too pricey to hire by the hour? If you spend $200k once truck prices come down to reality let's say in 2 years that truck might be worth $120k. Add in insurance, repairs, maintenance, that truck could cost you $60k a year plus fuel and driver for 10k miles a year, that's an expensive truck. I see it one of two ways, buy the $200k truck and work it much more then that so it's making more money to offset that hit, or go a different way that will work for you.

  23. #23dieseldog5.92022-02-23 08:36

    If you want to make a million dollars trucking start with 2 million.

  24. #24dieseldog5.92022-02-23 09:46

    Having spun wrenches for a company with multiple Internationals, the last truck I would buy would be an International, and never with a big bore engine, this engine was the problem with the Caterpillar branded trucks. Sounds like you have some money to work with, I got lost in the truck paper listing above, and came up with my pick for the perfect truck. https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/211798049/2012-peterbilt-389k

  25. #25Truck Shop2022-02-23 09:57

    Knew a guy years ago that painted {From Riches to Rags} on the hood.

  26. #26dieseldog5.92022-02-23 10:39

    I saw a guy this summer on a Log Truck, "Little Boys Dream, Big Boys Nightmare"

  27. #27Old Doug2022-02-23 11:05

    Not a dump truck but my single axle semi i paid around $1000.00 for plates, permits and insurance. I didnt put 400 miles on it last year. I am realy thinking about the future of this truck.