Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

L90E Volvo A/C

mikey531 ยท 2009-05-11 21:34

My L90E got pressure washed by someone at the shop, now the A/C flashes a yellow warning on the dash saying to check the owners manual. Well guess what there is nothing in the owners manual ! I was kind of hoping that after it dried out it might work but it hasn't so far.. any ideas ? Thanks !

Replies16
  1. #1MKTEF2009-05-12 08:12

    First check around the compressor. Power line going into the clutch/compressor. Often lokated at the end of the compressor. Should click when u turn on the ac.Have someone help u turn the ac knob on/off. Not shure if u need the engine running.(some equipment locks the clutch without engine running) Be carefull with rotating parts!!! Follow the wire if u dont hear the clutch click. Search for lost connection. Next is to take a check inside the heater/AC compartement on the right side of the cab. Open the panel and have a look inside for problems.(If compr is OK) Somewhere on the pipes there is a reservoir with a glass with three smal balls inside. Check theese for change in colours, theese indicates problems with the gas. This is if compr is OK, and compartement also looks fine. This sounds like a electric fault, most likely a connection blown open or with water inside. Might also be a clutch problem.. Hope it helps!

  2. #2mikey5312009-06-03 18:21

    I finally got back in my loader (L90E Volvo) and checked for power to the compressor. It does have power but still doesn't work. I did check the service manual and the error message I am getting says a plugged a/c condenser. It is not plugged at all. I am wondering now if maybe the sensor is bad because a couple times last fall and last winter I got a message saying the condenser was plugged but it went away . Now I need to find the sensor! Anyone know where it is? Thanks! Mike

  3. #3mikey5312009-06-11 02:01

    If the A/C was low on coolant wouldn't the clutch still kick in and out? Mine doesn't it just stopped after power washing the engine while running. I still can't find the plugged A/C condenser sensor, which is the error message I am getting.

  4. #4Cmark2009-06-11 02:47

    An ECM giving a "plugged condenser error" when the condenser is clean, suggests to me that the system is (incorrectly) sensing either high pressure or high temperature. I should look for a problem with a pressure switch, maybe on the compressor or the receiver/dryer, or a problem with a high temperature sensor, probably on the compressor. Good luck.

  5. #5mikey5312009-06-11 21:03

    I think I found the problem I finally got to talk a mechanic and he said it is common after steam cleaning an engine, it is the trinary switch on the dryer it has 4 wires and they get corroded from moisture. I could only get one wire unplugged and it showed some corrosion so I am going to try and remove the others and re-seat them, I also found out I can replace the switch without losing any coolant. The only problem I have now is it is only in the 50's ! Thanks for all the help !!!

  6. #6mikey5312009-07-06 21:06

    I can't convince the boss to buy the switch. The Volvo dealer's mechanic said a hose was leaking and all the R 134 leaked out, that is why it doesn't work of course he didn't have the hose and it will be expensive. I was at the dealership and asked him about and he said he could hear it leaking when I was there. Now if all the R-134 leaked out how could he still hear it leaking 4 months later? What happened was it was being pressure washed and the A/C compressor stopped turning, now in my simple little brain a slow leak will still cycle the compressor? I also found out the parts guys stock 6 of the trinary switch on the dryer because it is a common problem. Oh my boss also doesn't believe in A/C so I get to have my own sauna. I have been screening with a Nordburg and it gets loud and dusty with the windows open. Any suggestions?

  7. #7willie592009-07-06 21:16

    Boss doesn't believe in A/C...and appearantly want's everything in the cab filled with dust...and probably sits in an air conditioned office. Makes perfect sense.

  8. #8mikey5312009-07-07 11:00

    How did you know ??? He comes and checks on me in his A/C equipped pickup to

  9. #9kat072009-08-06 02:46

    i have an a/c problem with a L220E volvo wheel loader.... it has a full charge of refrigerant but the a/c clutch will not cut in. Connected direct power to a/c compressor and clutch engages. There is no power to the compressor plug but here is power at the switch and power at all three of the a/c controll fuses. power is present at two posts on the fan switch at the high side pressure line. Found no power at the thermostatic switch on at the evaporator. Checked for any possible system leak but was unable to notice any. recovered refirgerant and recovered what was put into system. Have no wiring diagrams but suspect wiring of possible switch failure. Any help would be great, thanks

  10. #10mikey5312009-08-18 20:52

    trinary switch? It could be the trinary switch. It is between the rear firewall and the radiator. If you look in from the drivers side it is just before the dryer, it has 4 wires coming out of it. You can try re-seating the wires but if that doesn't work it will have to be replaced, and I have a new one that I thought was my problem but I found a leak instead, So if you want I can give you a good deal on it ! I will take some pictures tomorrow

  11. #11kat072009-08-20 00:21

    thanks. I had given up on a reply!!!! I'll give that a try next time i'm workin out at the pit.

  12. #12MJB12009-11-05 07:23

    hello i'm from england & have to say this is the first post i've really recognised any machinery mentioned here ! are ther many volvo loaders used over there or more CAT orientated , i'm used to being loaded by volvo L120C,D,E & F series

  13. #13mikey5312009-11-05 17:47

    Hi We are in Maine and have 4 L70's, 1, L90E 1, L120C 1, L150D 1, L180C and also Excavators, a 160 2, 240's a 290 and 2, 360's

  14. #14jerrylemco2009-12-09 10:06

    Volvo A/C Having worked on heavy equipment a/c for the last 20 years and on a lot of the Volvo models there are a couple of things that always seem to crop up. ON many of the models the thermostatic controller is on the ground side of a relay (specifically on the E series) and may not show power. The best place to check for power is the mode switch on the dash panel. The trinary switch has issues with leaking as a result of how it is constructed. It is a Red Dot switch and you should be able to get them through most aftermarket sources (Volvo dealers are vastly overpriced). If you see signs of dirt gathering (as if attracted to oil) it is a sure sign the switch body is leaking. Double check with a UV light (if dye is in the system) or with an electronic detector. One set of the tabs is for the compressor pressure protection and the other set is to override the fan controller when the system pressure exceeds about 260 psi. The most common leak point on the Volvo loaders is the shaft seal on the compressor. The best way to check is to remove the clutch face and look for evidence of oil in the area around the shaft. If present then the seal is most likely leaking. An interesting effect of a small leak in the system on Volvo's is for the evaporator coil to freeze over (from the top down). This is a result of the positioning of the sensor tube of the thermostat in as much as it will not get cold enough to cycle at the outlet but it will still be cold enough to freeze at the top. Hope this helps out everyone with Volvo a/c issues.

  15. #15Jaymoney2022-06-07 12:01

    I have a 2014 L70g volvo last year had a new a/C compressor put in. this year the blower is stuck on, can't change anything on it. Please help!!

  16. #16sfrs42022-06-16 08:30

    It's all controlled by an ECU now, so if you have no fault codes for it, either faulty temp sensor in the cab, faulty ecu or faulty control unit? its all a bit of a guess