Hey guys I got a question my cousin is trying to get on with a constrution company he has very little operator knowladge but is a fast learner, what I am asking is he is being told by a few companys in CT here that they can start him out as a general labor making $10.00 an hour. I was not sure if this is good or bad, I know you have to start some where but is this fee fair or is it a low ball per hour paid fee ? Any help on this would be good.
Doesn't sound bad to me.
Chip, it may be a bit low, depends on what type of construction work and where in CT. I know I had a guy a few years back, he had no construction experience, but was willing to learn. I was paying him $16 an hour + benefits. Looking back, it probably was too much, especially since he only lasted just over a year. He did not like the industry and went back to what he was doing before. I gave him a chance to learn exverything from machine and excavation work, to drainage, framing, siding, trim, drywall, etc. and he said it was too much to learn it all :crying I would say, start @ $10, learn as much as he can and go from there. He may take a real liking to it, but he may also hate it. He can ask his employer about bumping up his pay with each new thing he learns to do and can do it well/unsupervised, etc.
Where I'm from white castle pay $8.50 to start!!!!