Took these pictures today. They are moving the dragline to another coal source. I believe the move is 13 kms. Big adventure as a road had to be cleared, it has to cross the public road in two places. They have to run new power lines and the sub station has to be moved along with it as well. From what I'm hearing it will cost between 2 and 3 million. These pictures are where it was stuck, but it's almost ready to begin it's treck again. Getting one of these puppy's stuck is no laughing matter! This picture shows how far it came up to today.
Hate to see the frozen puddles and snow,esp. with the cold wet summer we had. Your foliage apears to be just turning , yet ours is turned and half on the ground. My town has not had a frost yet- although most of state has - I am on the Mass. NH line
Just depends where your at I guess. The colors are fading fast. Looking out my window I'm seeing tree's with hardly any leaves left. We've had a few frosts already. Winter is just around the corner. How's that for highjacking my own thread?
Where is this one? I don't think I've seen this drag before.
Here is a story about the move. I dubbed it "lady Marion" but her proper name is "Maid Marion" http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/front/article/443567
A great story you've written there, the CEO is obviously a good man for semantics, saying "stuck is not really the right word" then going on to say "You can lose weeks if you got it stuck bad enough" which undermines his first statement a little! He's right though, you can move those things anywhere if you have enough time.
i would love to take one of those to the tavern. "but officer, i'm not driving, i'm walking."
Lol..I noticed that little blurp. Reminds me of one of our guy's..In the winter time he would call in once in awhile saying he needed a pull. Supervisor would ask hiim how bad he was stuck, his reply would be "I'm not stuck, I'm snow bound" To some operators "stuck" is a dirty word
Grader4me, Is the lady of the lake still sitting in chipman?minto? havent seen it in ten years or so and was just wondering. Was getting some 41B Parts from Knox contracting and saw it there.
It was sitting in Coal Creek (just outside of Chipman) for years. They sold it a few years back. I have no idea where it's at now. It was bigger than "Maid Marion"
Lady of the Lake is in Ft. Myers, Florida in a limestone quarry. I believe it's owned by CEMEX/Youngquist Bros., painted in a red/white scheme. Thanks for the reply Grader4me, I didn't know there was coal up that way but I recognized the Lady's name from another forum.
So that's where she ended up at! Thanks!
Thanks! thats an interesting tidbit of information! I was gonna drive up and see if i could get pics but its a good thing i didnt lol.
It's an extra 20 minute drive to Minto and you can get lots of pictures of Maid Marion. Lots of activity down around there.
Wasn't Knox involved with one of those 2 cranes somehow by owning or being part owner?
I'm not 100 per cent sure but I don't think that he had any thing to do with these two drag lines. I know that years ago he had his own drag lines as that is how he started in the business. I know that now he rents equipment such as dozers, excavators and graders to NB Coal but thats it. I just moved to this area a few years ago so I'm not quite up to it's history of coal mining, but from what I can understand it used to be a booming industry. A couple of years back Mr. Knox took me out to the site where Maid Marion was working. Quite an experience
Ah ok remember dad saying something about Harold and NB Coal years ago and draglines so had to ask.
She is in Minto , New Brunswick, Canada. I was erector for this machine. Completed her in mid 1979
Hi Donn, welcome to the forum! Maid Marion has completed her journey and is happily digging coal near Lakeville Corner.
Glad to hear that she is doing well. I was there in '92 to put the new Tub under her also I still have a couple of Maid marion Coffe Cups from the shop in Minto, keep one on my desk all the time.
Another update on the old Maid Marion. She is nearly done and working in North Carolina. I understand that they installed some sort of super Drag case on her and that this case was designed and manufactured by P&H. Anyone have any information on this upgrade?
Where in North Carolina? Never mind, answered my own question through the magic of Google. Aurora, NC phosphate mines.
Mitch504 Yep, you got it. I have a long relationship with that place and the Maid Marion that they just moved there. I was the Marion erector on the Marion 8050 when it was Texasgulf at Aurora and I was the original erector on the Maid Marion (8200) when it was originally erected at New Brunswick Coal in Canada. When we put up the old 8050 at Aurora we worked a 4 (10 hr day) week so I worked weekends as a flight instructor at New Bern airport and Lived on Emerald Isle. Good Memories. Have a good one
Replaced the.8050 drag gear case that this machine was built with (18"'wide bull gear and bolt down drum bearing carriers) with an 8200 type with the 23.5" wide bull gear and pin on bearing carriers. The case was built in the later Marion style with 4" thick case walls and 7" plate from the drum bearing to the base, very stout. Gearing is common with the other 8200 on site and low speed gearing in the hoist on this machine.
just found this thread and figured I would share these pictures they were taken I think a year before the drag line was moved out of minto I attended college their and found out about her, the watchman was nice enough to give us the grand tour of the machine
Nice!!! Cool pics Logan Thanks for sharing !!!
I wonder what the future will be for it.
Nice pics you have there, Logan