Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Land Fills

ODF ยท 2008-06-26 21:42

Anyone with experience working at a landfill? I would like to hear your opinion about the work. The only thing I really know is that it smells and basic operations from a power point presentation.

Replies8
  1. #1surfer-joe2008-06-26 22:41

    Yep! Smells bad, some days more than others. Steady work, seems to be no end to the trash we throw away. Does not pay as well as some other operating jobs, but the benefits are generally good. Operating end of the dump is better than the maintenance end mind you.

  2. #2ODF2008-06-27 21:59

    Yep, figured it would be a bit more nasty than normal.

  3. #3alco2008-06-28 05:13

    Now that's an understatement if I've ever seen one! I have never in my life thought you could stuff that many maggots into a belly pan of an 826 packer. Brian

  4. #4CM19952008-06-28 20:23

    The smell varies depending on whether you are in a C&D pit or MSW pit. We mostly go to only C&D landfills or the C&D cell in a larger landfill. The C&D side does not smell too bad, sort of a "metallic" smell - best way I could describe it. The C&D landfill would be more of a challenge to the operators with big bulky items coming in as opposed to just wet garbage on the MSW side.

  5. #5ODF2008-06-30 18:33

    Well that pretty well sums it up for me, I'll be looking elsewhere for a job, cold I can take, wet I can take I can even work wet and cold, but stink ain't gonna cut it!!!!! Thanks ya'll!

  6. #6tonka2008-06-30 19:41

    :beatsmeSmells like $$$$ to me...

  7. #7CM19952008-06-30 19:44

    Exactly!!!!:thumbsup You get used to the smell after a while.........

  8. #8tonka2008-06-30 20:23

    :beatsmena you never do but you can tolerate it for 8-12 hrs at a time