Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Landed on a 580C – Any input is welcome

KevinK2 ยท 2012-02-14 09:37

I had recently joined and posted about an IH3616 - but it just had too many issues for the price - And, I think, good things come to those who wait. I found this 580C out of an estate settlement. Has a thumb & extend-a-hoe. The tires go soft after a week or so - I'll likely just tube them. The Case diesel purrs. Oils are clean, has some air in the boom cyl from being low on Hyd, but that's getting better as I cycle it. the left swing piston leaks the most, but i can live with it for now. I need some help on identifying the age. I'm guessing late 70's to early 80's, judging by the lettering font that was popular back then. It needs the master cylinders replaced. One is dry and rotted inside and the other has a tiny bit of pressure, but the cap is hogged down and rusted tight, couldn't even knock it loose, so I'll just replace it to be safe. Found them fo $62 ea. on flea-bay. I paid $4000, I'm thinking it was a pretty good deal. Any thoughts or advice? Any leads on a good source for parts for Case machines?

Replies5
  1. #1dwloop2012-02-14 09:43

    Thats a good looking machine for $4K. Shuttle in good shape?? Needing brakes is common on these vintage tractors, and when you get them right they are not that great. Replacing packing in the cylinders is not that bad, need some tools and it is work. Check out this page with the serial for the age... http://www.ssbtractor.com/wwwboard/view_all.cgi?bd=case&msg=5407 Dave Oh and I forgot... Welcome!

  2. #2KevinK22012-02-14 09:56

    Yeah, the shuttle is smooth and responsive. The dash has the typical non-functioning gages but the hobbs is still metering - 3200 or so hours. One weld, left bucket arm pivot, and the sacrafical edge on the bucket is partly broken off (missing about 12") - I have the section but I'll just replace the whole thing with a strip of AR steel rather than weld it. Looks like this thing had an easy life, all-in-all. The Const Co owner passed recently. Story that I got was that he took it in lieu of $ from a guy who's wife was cleaning his clock in a divorce, so he gave it up for (I'm assuming) a $4k debt so she wouldn't get her mitts on it. The late owner's wife is now sorting through the unused treasures that the fellow collected over the years. My pal works at a gravel site and got wind of it.

  3. #3dw7102012-02-15 13:14

    Nice looking machine, I just recently picked a Ford 455, can't wait to start digging into my yard projects!

  4. #4KevinK22012-02-16 06:54

    Thanks dwloop - SN is 9009074 making her a 1980. Let's me hone in on parts better I think...Thanks!

  5. #5mikey12012-02-16 17:50

    yes it is a great looking machine, the thumb im sure will be very handy to have