Heres a few pics I got yesterday. Never saw grouser pads like these before.
I've seen that type pad advertised for landfill use, apparently they tend to shred the garbage more than a regular styled pad.
I think they call those Chopper Shoes
Our 2 D8's at our transfer station have pads like that. Yes they do shred the garbage pretty well.
I wanted a set like that for our D5B at work to help with paper on final compaction with the dozer. We run a small private landfill. I called Caron that has the patent on them and they made them for a D6. I called Thompson to see if a any of the other raild fit from a larger machine or a 955 and they wouldnt. After talking to Carons sales man about buy ing some of the grouser stock precut that was a dead end. The supervisor at that landfill got a set some how and had me welding them on some bare pads he had and he came running out they flew a lawyer in saying we were breaking a patent rule. I figure they should have known they sold a set of grouser stock they should have known we were making a set. We compacted every thing with our skidder conversion then track walk each lift to flatten out every thing where the spikes kinda fluff it up. makes it easier covering too lessthengs to snag when covering a lift.
Nice pics. Always interesting to see how machines are used in different enviroments. Trbo
In second picture of the trailer tipper, what is the mechanism mounted on the upright posts? At first it looked like an inline magnet but there is no where for the metal to go. Is it some sort of scanner to detect non-acceptable items?
I really cant answer your question!:beatsme I dont work for the landfill, we are digging a new cell across the canyon from where they are dumping. I will try to find out for ya though! As far as being a scanner, I doubt it. They dump anything that comes in. Jason
I think is a light mount and an oil cooler for something in the lift. I recently got to steam clean one a friend was moving. He made it to the scales and the DOT man wanted it washed because it had alot of garbage juice on it and paper still dragging under it. Most sanitary fills have a monitor that the prescreens the trucks for radioactive wastes. They can find a singe item in a truck the size of a syringe if its contacted any radioactive material. I saw a demonstraion wher 4 trucks were loaded and only one person knew which one the tainted item was in. I t had a Microwave oven magnetron that was leaking in it. Picked it out of a 53 foot trailer.
Of the 6 tippers at this landfill, the I took the picture of is the only one with that contraption on it! I found out today it is a light bar. Thats all it is. At least thats what the landfill superintendent told me. Jason